Friends and Family Forum

Friends and Family Forum (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/index.php)
-   Pets (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Odd things pets eat (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/showthread.php?t=4182)

snafu September 9th, 2011 10:05 PM

Odd things pets eat

Kaykay's post about a cat eating her sister's birthday cake got me thinking - what odd things have you known pets to eat/drink?

When I was a kid, we had one cat that would get into anything he could. My dad got :mad: when the cat drank drank some of his coffee.

Lizzie September 9th, 2011 11:58 PM

Re: Odd things pets eat

One of our cats will not drink from her dish. She will either jump on the worktop and wait for
drops to fall from the water tap or she will accept water from a cup but as I said, not from her dish!

Tonnie September 10th, 2011 08:18 AM

Plastic-bags.. Bølle can't resist plasticbags. And then he throws up. :rolleyes:

KayKay September 10th, 2011 10:21 AM

We have a plastic bag eater too! I learned (from a Google search) that it is believed that the reason some cats like to eat plastic bags is because of the animal tallow or corn starch (depending on which source you read) used to make them. That's about the only odd thing he eats.

I have one cat that ate cucumbers and tomatoes as a kitten and now has an affinity for spinach. He also likes baked goods - will eat crumbs of bread that fall on the floor etc.

One of my cats used to lap out of my coffee if I left it unguarded; she has stopped that but now likes ice cubes. She enjoys watching them melt, but likes to touch them with her paw and lick the resulting melted water off. She also loves spaghetti... mostly the meat sauce but she'll eat the noodles if they're cut up enough small enough for her to swallow.

Porch cat (our neighbor's cat that lives on our patio) is crazy about a particular pork dish I make called carnitas. The pork part doesn't surprise me, but the fact that it's cooked in beer with garlic and jalapenos kinda makes me wonder.

When I was growing up I had a cat that I caught licking toothpaste out of the tube. That quickly taught me to always put the cap back on!!

snafu September 10th, 2011 11:51 AM

These are too funny - I thought our cat was odd (he ate a lot of things that seemd weird to me) - turns out he wasn't so different afterall

he liked

- ice tea (you had to guard your glass)
- coffee
- chips (esp. doritos)
- and would often try any snack you had (we were teens & like to lay on the floor/our beds when reading)

Lizzie September 11th, 2011 05:13 AM

When I was growing up I had a cat that I caught licking toothpaste out of the tube. That quickly taught me to always put the cap back on!!
____

Brilliant!

tulips November 29th, 2011 06:44 PM

My little kitten eats flies. Chases them, catches them then eats them.

At least we are saving on Fly Spray haha

Knot2loud November 30th, 2011 06:13 AM

Poop. Why do some dogs eat poop? It's gross.

Nom, nom, nom... "Slurp..."

http://www.quemark.com/images/storie...s-eat-poop.jpg

bingobango November 30th, 2011 01:12 PM

My dog eats poop. Bleaugh!

My kitten eats anything that he can reach but rather likes licking jam off the edge of the plate (jelly in America?)

and my older cat who is sitting on my lap as I type... when she was just a wee kitten.... well...
I was in my kitchen and heard her jump through the window with quite a thud, looked round, and she was dragging someone's fish supper in through the window after her. It was still warm.

She must have got in through their window, snatched it, then run home with it. I always laugh thinking of their face when they looked round to see they only had chips and no fish to go with it.

snafu November 30th, 2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knot2loud (Post 46495)
Poop. Why do some dogs eat poop? It's gross.

While I agree, I think to dogs (at least the ones in my house) kitty poo = kitty nuggets {:eek::puke:}