Friends and Family Forum

Friends and Family Forum (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Any Advice for Theoretical Method for starting Gardening? (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/showthread.php?t=5505)

Mercedes123 January 17th, 2013 11:54 PM

Any Advice for Theoretical Method for starting Gardening?

I have a secrete garden on the field at the back of our yard.
I plant potatoes, cabbage etc. on the patch, some roses are still planted there, well, I do not take the soil conditions into consideration, just plant everything I like, and what surprised my most is that the majority of them would survive, but I still don't know how, perhaps the magical nature helps a lot!
I guess I should learn more related things to plant them with scientific methods, well, guys, is there any practical advice for my to have a good start on learning some theoretical method?

snafu January 18th, 2013 04:47 PM

Re: Any Advice for Theoretical Method for starting Gardening?

what do you have/want?

I have a book that suggests "companion" plant gardening - I could check what my book says

for example basil and tomatoes grow well together, but sunflowers inhibit the growth of greenbeans

Mrs X January 19th, 2013 01:59 PM

:o:oI quite like the "plant it and see if it survives" approach. - Like you, i've often found things that theoretically shouldn't have grown have done quite well. I once put an ornamental weeping maple in a windy, dry position, and it always looked lovely! Probably because it also had shade for a lot of the day.

Mercedes123 January 22nd, 2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snafu (Post 58592)
what do you have/want?

I have a book that suggests "companion" plant gardening - I could check what my book says

for example basil and tomatoes grow well together, but sunflowers inhibit the growth of greenbeans

Thanks, snafu, firstly heard about the "companion" plant gardening, but I would have a try on that. I just invited one of my friend to look after my garden and solve the problem I met in gardening according to the actual situation, this season I'd like to plant flowers in my garden, thus advice on survival probability and growth conditions of different seeds in the local area would be referred, I'd like to plant them with scientific reference instead of relaying on the nature itself. :)
Anyway, thanks for your warm advice!! :)

Mercedes123 January 22nd, 2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs X (Post 58607)
:o:oI quite like the "plant it and see if it survives" approach. - Like you, i've often found things that theoretically shouldn't have grown have done quite well. I once put an ornamental weeping maple in a windy, dry position, and it always looked lovely! Probably because it also had shade for a lot of the day.

:D Thanks Mrs X for sharing with me your ornamental weeping maple. Plants of the kind can always bring us some surprising pleasure, can't it? :)

longhairedgnome January 23rd, 2013 06:43 AM

Are there any gardening centers or plant nurseries in your area? I've always found it helpful to go to one of those places and ask a professional for advice on what works in the area and conditions I'm working with.

I love planting flowers too. Never had much luck with roses though unfortunately. :o

Mercedes123 January 24th, 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longhairedgnome (Post 58735)
Are there any gardening centers or plant nurseries in your area? I've always found it helpful to go to one of those places and ask a professional for advice on what works in the area and conditions I'm working with.

I love planting flowers too. Never had much luck with roses though unfortunately. :o

Our country is an agricultural country, almost everyone grown up in the rural country can plant anything on the basis of practical experiences, but almost all of us plant without any theoretical knowledge, centers or agencies are seldom. :(

Well, we can plant together with the coming of spring in the near future by discussing the natural conditions it needs and issues should be focused in the planting progress! :)

luvmyfamily December 11th, 2013 02:16 AM

you can read books regarding simple gardening where they tell and teach you different methods of organic gardening.......since you have a quite good patch of land which gives you unexpected output, so please don't go for any chemicals, pests, etc. let it grow natural.....

Annsdil December 11th, 2013 05:15 AM

I know this is an old posr that has been resurrected but when I first saw the title I thought it said "Theatrical"! :o

David147 March 13th, 2015 10:45 PM

*Mercedes, One of the my favorite gardening books is the late Geoff Hamilton's 'Cottage Gardens'. Secret gardens are a joy and this book gives plenty of planting advice for keeping a natural look.