Friends and Family Forum

Friends and Family Forum (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/index.php)
-   Children (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Letting go ... DS & me (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/showthread.php?t=3122)

snafu June 4th, 2010 12:11 PM

Letting go ... DS & me

DS has left for a weekend scout camping trip - its his first one without either mom or dad going along. (biting nails smiley)

I don't know all the adult leadership of the troop he went with - but some have shown a lack of forethought in the past; others, accoring to my ex are good guys (ex went on a group caming trip with them in the past)

Anyway both DS & I were moody/irritable today... however, we finally had a talk & I described how he was feeling (he looked suprised that I knew & understood) - and that I was feeling the same way - then he (visibly) relaxed as I explained why I felt that way & that I knew I had to let him grow-up sometime.

KayKay June 4th, 2010 04:41 PM

Re: Letting go ... DS & me

This letting go thing is so hard. (((((snafu)))))

snafu June 4th, 2010 05:15 PM

what make this hard it that some of the adults - um..... lack the same - is it ?ethics? as me

for example :rolleyes: (you'll love this)

one year this troop provided that Santa, etc. for DS's pack - Santa, for a kids/cubscout party, was protrayed as being drunk :eek:

due to the location fire is not allowed at this campout - otherwise MOM would be there :cool:

I'm going to switch him to another troop - the one he wants, but conflicts with soccer :( (there are some issues with that troop as well :(, but I'd be willing to camp with that troop - I've done it before)

grubby June 4th, 2010 05:27 PM

:eek::eek: A drunk Santa!!! WTH!! Drunk Sant, meet ticked off mom.

Ugh, I don't look forward to the letting go phase. Even right now I am having to learn to let me kids be more independent and even that is hard. Ie., let them play at the ball park and not follow an inch behind them the whole time. I still watch them, but from a distance.

snafu June 4th, 2010 05:47 PM

Letting go - some moms never "let go" :rofl:

before the boys left, I was talking to the GF of DS's friend who is also going -we were talking about the kids hair styles - GF said HIS mom -age 80+ was STILL telling him what to do with his hair :eek::rolleyes: :rofl:

Blue Skies June 5th, 2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snafu (Post 34383)
GF said HIS mom -age 80+ was STILL telling him what to do with his hair :eek::rolleyes: :rofl:

That's going to be ME!:eek:

Hope all is going well, snafu. How did you make it through last night?

Lizzie June 5th, 2010 11:17 AM

I think as they get older they turn nasty so as you are able to let them go........gladly!
Now would I be talking from experience do you think!!

KayKay June 5th, 2010 11:56 AM

:rofl:

Lizzie! You're SO right!! :D (Anyone want my DD?)

Lizzie June 5th, 2010 12:01 PM

I might take her KayKay...always wanted that daughter!!!

Hey its my 400th post!!

Blue Skies June 5th, 2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzie (Post 34387)
I might take her KayKay...always wanted that daughter!!!

Becareful what you wish for Lizzie...that mother-daughter dynamic can be killer,(says the mother of an almost 13 year old DD);)