Friends and Family Forum

Friends and Family Forum (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   quilting (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/showthread.php?t=5455)

snafu January 2nd, 2013 11:13 AM

quilting

:eek: I signed up for a quilting class

:o I'm having the biggest problem picking colors for my project - I tend to pick garish/bright stuff - my combos would probally attract magpies :rolleyes:

I can't find my scrapbooking color wheels - so I plan on getting new ones - and then I could get fabric that actually goes together

snafu January 5th, 2013 06:41 PM

Re: quilting

I picked out fabric for my beginners class - and I'll try to post a pic in a week (after class)

we're just making a block

KayKay January 5th, 2013 07:50 PM

One of these days..... :o

I have seen some really neat quilts. One was a quilt that a girl's parents made out of all of her baby clothes. Another was a quilt made out of school t-shirts for a friend who was moving away. I loved that way to preserve the memories yet make something useful. :)

snafu January 6th, 2013 12:54 PM

:banana:

I found another beginners class at a different place :) - you make an entire qulit top (large lap size)!

I think I'm going to try that one too (this place has more fabrics that a-peal to me as well). I'm already inspired! :D

snafu January 10th, 2013 07:42 PM

I made my first quilt block :).

(gotta figure out how to post a pic of it)

Mercedes123 January 17th, 2013 11:42 PM

Well, my mom do quilting, I am a newbie to learn from her when I am not obsessed with other trivial stuffs.

Well, found that the match of colors do really annoy me very much, my usual method for dealing with the problem is to put the colors who resemble the color I am going to put together. :)

Hope you can figure out your own ways of dealing the problems you met in the progress with right and perfect method!

snafu January 18th, 2013 04:44 PM

uh... I don't know much about the education system you grew up in

in art, did you study the "color wheel"?

complementary colors go together (in "The States" that = red & green; purple & gold/yellow; blue & orange)

you can also do "split complementary colors" (I can't explain without pics)

neutrals (black, white, gray) go with everything

and fabric patterns should be mixed (large, medium, small)

snafu January 20th, 2013 07:04 PM

I learned more at my quilting class :) - & learned that I'm not so good at getting all my fabric colors to work well with all the others :(

color A goes well with print B

Print B goes well with both color A and pattern C

Color A and pattern C ... together, in the same quilt block ... blech

(& I initially disliked pattern C, but it went well with my border fabric, now that I've sewed blocks together I really like it -the lady teaching the class helped me find fabrics that went with my border ... I vetoed some of her choices & found the print {B} on my own)

episkopos February 18th, 2013 01:54 AM

Pleeeeeease show us some pictures.

snafu February 18th, 2013 03:55 PM

:o I need a new memory card

the lap blanket should be done in 2 weeks

(and I have another class coming up - classes 2 & 3 overlap, but are at different places)