Friends and Family Forum

Friends and Family Forum (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   getting rid of stuff (http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com/showthread.php?t=7219)

snafu March 26th, 2015 03:38 PM

getting rid of stuff

I'm trying to get rid of stuff (I've got boxes that probably haven't been unpacked thru 2-3 moves ...oops).

I'm now attempting the "Joy" method (not really called that). I read about it in a book (that I haven't finished reading & I had to return to the library ... I'll get it back though)

The basic gist I got was if something doesn't bring you joy (in some form) get rid of it. It also recommended start with the easy stuff ... ex. the kitchen.

It also recommended you do everything of the same type at the same time .... I have books in multiple places - I need to do them all at the same time.

I'm not planning on having a yard sale - stuff worth $$ will be put on Craig's List, donated or free cycled.

Catwoman March 26th, 2015 06:06 PM

Re: getting rid of stuff

Hi Snafu, I have been selling a lot of my stuff online on an auction site in NZ. I have cleaned out heaps from my wardrobe and shoe closet. I was a collector of labeled handbags, shoes, makeup, jewellery etc, so I decided to sell heaps of my stuff to raise money for my trip in December. Ive been a member of this site selling since 2006.

My fav saying about stuff is "It's not a bargain if you dont really need it"

I'm trying to stick to that now. Its quite good therapy to de-clutter I find..:)

snafu March 27th, 2015 05:40 PM

couch, cough ..... um.... I discovered that I'm not able to do everything of the same type at the same time due to all the "carp" we have - I can't get to some of the stuff. (X-mas stuff has just been tossed/thrown on shelves for a few years and has overflown to the floor - blocking access to storage that has books)

Yesterday, I started with my bookshelves downstairs - I had notes from when I was working on my masters degree (oops). I cleaned out over 12 binders, notebooks, random paper, plus about 3 dozen books I don't read anymore. Some of the books will go to my mom's (she'll share with friends), some will be donated, and others pitched.

Today I started on (gulp) the shelves in the basement. It's gonna be a long process.

KayKay March 27th, 2015 05:52 PM

When I did the clean out process too many years ago, I did it by location rather than type. So I'd do one cabinet one day, a closet a few days later. When I came across something that belonged in another category (such as Christmas decorations) I'd put it with the other Christmas decorations to wait until I got to it. If I came across something that belonged in a category I had already done, I dealt with it then.

Catwoman March 27th, 2015 06:32 PM

I used to be person who saved everything, but now when its rubbish it just goes straight out. I have to fight my husband to throw away old soccer boots with rips in them, he says,oh just keep them for mucking around, I said they are no good,they are going in the bin!!....and so they did.

snafu March 29th, 2015 05:23 AM

I'm having to do it the same way kaykay

once I've separated the "chafe" from the "grain", so to speak, I'll be able to do categories (that probably won't happen for months)

once I have made space, DH & I plan on moving everything from the attic to the basement - before we're too old to go thru the hatch in the ceiling (there's no stairs to the attic :()

It seems strange, but I like seeing the neat shelf - it makes me feel good, am I weird or what?

Knot2loud March 30th, 2015 06:55 AM

Getting rid of junk... Owww! You're making my head hurt!

When you do manage to get rid of your junk... Tell me your secret.

snafu March 30th, 2015 06:11 PM

the junk was "getting" to me

also, do you really need the _____ from when you were ____? (photos from high school, yes; notes from when I was in college - NO)

I tend to vacillate between entropy/messy or neat freak; I think its because my dad was a hoarder but mom kept his junk confined to "his" areas. I grew up that his junk in his "space" was the embarrassing norm - so my childhood "imprinting" was some carp was "normal" - thing is it depresses me and once I get stuff straightened .... well, I've been admiring the shelves I've straightened.

(right now the X-mas stuff fits on one shelf rather than 2 AND is no longer overflowing onto the basement floor ....gift bags were everywhere) {the shelves are huge - 3' x 6'}

KayKay March 30th, 2015 06:35 PM

My problem is that I was raised by a child of the Great Depression, and it was engrained in me to never throw out anything which could be used somehow, by someone, somewhere because that was wasteful.

But my BF who called me in 2012 looking for pink fabric rosettes was pleased I hadn't thrown away the ones I bought for a bridal shower I threw in 1994. :)

Knot2loud March 31st, 2015 06:42 AM

Junk... I used to collect eagles. Must've had 20 of them spread out over the house. Big ones, little ones. Even had a 3-footer in the yard once until my DD used it as target practice. It was my job to clean them. Did it for years... finally got tired of cleaning them so I started giving them away. I have a few left. They're in a box and heading out to our garage sale in May. Junk...