View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2021, 03:50 PM

Wandarlust is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking of removing myself from my adult children's lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
Welcome back Wandarlust! I'm so sorry to hear things haven't improved.

This is such a painful situation and I don't blame you for being hurt.

I'm actually going to second your SIL's advice to go to counseling, but for a different reason. You seeking counseling is not likely to improve the relationship (unless your daughters avoid you because you're toxic for some reason, but it doesn't seem like that's the case) but what it MAY help with is focusing your efforts on your own happiness.

Do you have any hobbies you love? Do you do any volunteer work that you find meaningful? What gets you out of bed every day?

It doesn't sound like you're sitting around waiting for your phone to ring, but do you have things that bring you joy that you can mentally use to push out the hurt when you see the pictures posted on FB?

I volunteer at a nursing home once per week. Seeing the patients' faces light up when they see a visitor (and for some of them, they meet me for the first time every week) makes me feel ten feet tall. Do you have anything like that?
Not really. But I have been meaning to do try and find something to get into. Book clubs and volunteering are good choices/suggestions.

I am also thinking about getting off of social media. Everyone who's anything to me has my phone number and can easily reach me if they want to. It is really sad that this is the case and I know they're father would not want this. But, I really don't know what else to do.