View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2018, 10:30 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The other end of the mommy wars!

Exactly.

I was caught up in the Mommy Wars too - not that I ever felt the need to argue about it, but I had a lot of friends (and sisters, LOL) who were openly disgusted with me for not returning to work (wasting my education!) or defensive about the fact that they did. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to work from home, but my hours were minimal and balanced around caring for my kids.

I don't think there's a right or wrong. Everyone should do what works best for them and their family. The only thing I get stuck on is the idea that one will be asked to help with grandchildren. That, imo, is a risky assumption.

Another interesting thing is the perception of the upcoming generation about it. My kids had a SAHM but most of their friends didn't. Some of the people my DD has befriended at college (okay, just one ex-boyfriend) are actually quite derogatory about the fact that I was a SAHM, as though it's a sign that I'm lazy or not intelligent. I explained the Mommy Wars to my DD, but I don't think she believed me. LOL.