Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Grandparents & Grandchildren

Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:55 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Have your ILs ever threatened you with grandparent's rights?

I've had time to lurk and I've read a few threads where the ILs threatened their own adult children and their spouses with grandparents's rights. Did this happen to you?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of
Re: Have your ILs ever threatened you with grandparent's rights?

Not us. Don't think it would, either. MIL is clingy and childish and gets her way by wheedling and puppy dog eyes and such (or tries to). She would not be capable of something so openly aggressive.

FIL would be, but he (a) doesn't really care about our children all that much, and (b) would never spring for a lawyer.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Surfin With The Manta Ray

Pandsala is on a distinguished road

ours did, i laughed in mils face when she said it, since grandparents rights is not viable for intact families here, for which i thank our lawmakers. IMO, grandparents rights is mostly a tool for control hungry people to force their children and inlaws to do what they want them to do, because in no way is bankrupting a family just so granny can get her rocks off with her grandkids, good for those children, forcing financial and emotional hardship on the people those kids love the most is never *for* the kid.

touchy subject for me.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

No, my IL's have never threatened us with that. My FIL is smart enough to know the law, and my MIL just prefers the Nag-and-Whine route.

I have to give credit where credit is due... MIL has thankfully backed off considerably the last year or so. Just to be clear. (She's now into P/A attacks that let us know that she's hurt and unhappy.)
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
I've had time to lurk and I've read a few threads where the ILs threatened their own adult children and their spouses with grandparents's rights. Did this happen to you?
I was concerned about it as a possible route MIL might take. I looked into the law and found it is not a worry for us as an intacted family.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM

grubby will become famous soon enough

My DH would drop kick his parents so far in to next week that it would not even be a problem.

The truth be told, my inlaws just aren't that interested in my kids. MIL likes looking like the good grandmother, but actually spending time with the kids puts her on edge. No complaints on my end.

I was a much better parent... before I had kids!
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM

latelearner will become famous soon enough

Big concern for us here actually, in Ontario Canada the provincial government is in the process of legislating grandparental rights and I am in the thick of it. My PILs would definitely take us to court to have access to the kids - if only to punish DH and I for having the nerve to break free of their once powerful stranglehold.

Touchy subject for me too. I have to cut this post short or it'll turn into one of my mini-novel like posts!
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by latelearner View Post
Big concern for us here actually, in Ontario Canada the provincial government is in the process of legislating grandparental rights and I am in the thick of it. My PILs would definitely take us to court to have access to the kids - if only to punish DH and I for having the nerve to break free of their once powerful stranglehold.

Touchy subject for me too. I have to cut this post short or it'll turn into one of my mini-novel like posts!
I'm sorry that you are in the thick of it. I thought it fell away here in the states. I didn't realize Canada was legislating it. Oh boy.
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like some asspects of grandparents rights. (No flames please) The only time I feel its acceptable is when the grandparents have had a relationship with the family (aka kids & grandkids), then if the couple divorce & later 1 parent dies, THEN the other person's parents should have some visitation. (I'm thinking about myself- I have it put in my divorce decree that if either my ex or I died the GP's would get visitation- but then I loved by exILs & my ex liked my DM)

eeewwww... I just realized PITA/toxic IL's could be the reason why a couple got divorced .
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:51 AM

peace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Yes it has. Well actually it has happened to my DH. He has been entangled in a ridiculous lawsuit for over two years now. This GPV action was initiated by his own parents.