Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Other

Other A place to discuss any other family member or have general family discussions

Old October 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM

Irianose is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Family Drives Me Crazy! Literally!!

It's been five weeks now since I am back from a Weight loss Camp. And every week, almost every day its me versus the family: My 2 brothers and my mother. It always starts out with a statement, observation or a favour. My mum is a Psychiatrist and my 2 brothers have attention deficit or ADHD or whatever you want to call it and on top of that they are all highly sensitive/reactive/explosive to everything. I had a slight mental problem due to increased stress from the huge amount of pressure and performance anxiety of Senior year exam week. And since I was already accepted to college abroad, failing the last High School year would be an absolute nightmare. This resulted in heavy Mood swings. I was diagnosed with a light bipolar disorder by the age of 17. I took medication for 8 months at the College abroad living on my own. Then I gradually started reducing the amount with consent of my mother, as I felt that with age and experience I got the hang of it preventing what triggered my disorder. It has now been 6 month and 5 weeks since I have last used the medication. I then quit college because of health reasons and went to Fat camp. I have been through such an amazing self discovery and recovery journey during my weight-loss and away from home. It was like therapy and at the same time I felt so calm and in control. Since I am home, that feeling has yet again been taken from me.

I started a conversation Today about how I really felt and still feel about me not having a relationship. I newly started at another college not far from my family home. I told her that a lot of my new friends (boys included) have mistaken my sexual preference, partially because I dressed in a certain way. Then I told them that I was straight and that I lost a lot of weight plus that I am still loosing more at this moment. I told them that this was one of the reasons that my mother couldn't and wasn't going to buy me a new wardrobe and thats why I was wearing my brothers jacket and tshirts (my clothers are 3 clothings sizes to big now) and old jeans from before my weight gain. They understood that, but I was still shocked.

So I told my mother this but her answer was that I should quit the pity party and suck it up since (and she is 60 years old and I am 19) she didn't have a boyfriend at my age either. I got very emotional and She kept telling me to be calm down, but I couldn't! I was frantically trying to tell her that she missed the point. She then dissected my life like a psychiatrist and used previous experience during the bad moments of my life as her arguments. On top of that my 2 brothers joined in, to tell me to shut up (without having listened to anything said.) This was because I sounded too annoying and because they never fought before I returned from Camp. The last thing I heard before I withdrew myself was that I should be back on my pills... Then when I went upstairs in my room, I could hear my whole family talking through the thin wall about me, gossiping... thinking I am a mental patient...

This happens almost every night! I don't know what to do! HELP!!

P.s: I refuse to take the pills as I can see clear enough that I am not perfect and I realized my weaknesses. But this time that is not an easy fix. I hate the side effects of the medication: (weight gain, loss of creativity etc...)

Last edited by Irianose; October 9th, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:17 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Family Drives Me Crazy! Literally!!

Welcome Irianose!

Before I give my thoughts on your situation, I have a question. Who diagnosed you with the light bipolar disorder, and who diagnosed your brothers? You say your mum is a psychiatrist - did she do it or did one of her colleagues?
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on losing the weight. I feel your dilemma on the clothes issue. I went from a size 42 waist to a 36. Kind of like sweet & sour... Sweet that you look and feel better and sour because you need new clothes.

I prefer the new clothes.
Old October 10th, 2013, 10:28 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

is there an inexpensive resale/thrift shop in your area?

I've also heard of places that do clothing swaps (maybe freecycle might have something)
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:12 AM

dawris is on a distinguished road

Oh that's a really bad one. Difficulty in families is somewhat normal, well at least values aren't as traditional as they used to be.

But despite this, your mother's reaction seems really over the top. Could it be that she is just jealous of all your lost weight and how you look now? What exactly are your circumstances? Perhaps you could work for a while and get enough money to move out or buy your own wardrobe.

Most of all, well done on the weight loss and stay positive! Maybe try and get to college abroad somehow - this could really open lots of great opportunities for you!
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:01 AM

luvmyfamily will become famous soon enough

CONGRATULATIONS, for weight loss...
Cause most people loose their hope in the middle of their campaign or say whatever they plan to do...
But, you made it through...
And try hard to get a college abroad so that you get away from your present atmosphere...
You would definitely get in a surrounding of good vibes...

WORK HARD...
ALL THE BEST...

Tags
brother, medication, mental, mother, relationships