Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Friend Forum > Other friendships

Other friendships Best friends, ex-friends, or any other friends

Old February 17th, 2014, 11:18 AM

mandy21 is on a distinguished road
My sister's obsessive friend

There's a girl who I know (but only through my sister). She is one of my sister's friends, so I only happen to know her from when I go out with my sister. I have only met the girl a handful of times (maybe 4 or 5 times over the last years). We live about 2 hours drive from her. My sister is away at uni so she's only home during the holidays but this girl keeps contacting me all the time and it's getting on my nerves.
She sends me messages asking what I'm doing, what I'm having for tea and silly things like that several times on most days. I lead a busy life and don't have time to respond to every text immediately - the girl gets really stroppy and sulky if I take longer than an hour to answer. She phones me at unsociable times and spends up to 2 hours just talking about herself without allowing me to get a word in edgeways. She's not someone I would choose as my friend - she is closer to my sister.
This girl is getting married next month and invited me (although my sister can't make it because she'll be on holiday abroad), so I'll be expected to go alone. It will be a huge Pakistani wedding with hundreds of guests and I won't know anyone. I dread the thought of going but struggle to get out of it because she told me about 6 months ago to keep the date free. But now she has announced the the wedding will be spread over 2 days instead of just the 1 day that was originally mentioned. I can't attend on both days - it would mean driving 4 hours on each day, choosing 2 outfits, and sitting with people I don't know, all for the sake of a person who is my sister's friend rather than my friend. I told her that I will try to attend 1 of the days but she was sulking about that and saying why do I bother just going for 1 day. I can't win. I wish my sister would be there, then we could have gone together to the wedding but I really don't want to go alone. What would you girls do?
Old February 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My sister's obsessive friend

I would have stopped answering her calls a long time ago. I would also tell her that I won't be attending the wedding. Just because someone tells you to keep a date free doesn't mean you are obligated to them.
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:22 PM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

^^ This
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:30 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not even shy, and i'd be dreading it too. Send a card!