Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > News and Current Events

News and Current Events Discuss news and current events

Old March 1st, 2018, 03:15 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
National School Walkout

http://time.com/5178187/students-tea...rotest-rights/

We haven't talked about the Parkland school shootings. How tragic is it to have a kid who was throwing huge red flags and crying for help would be able to commit such a violent act?

I am impressed with the students fighting back. I don't know if the National School Walkout will result in any changes, but I commend the kids for insisting that they be heard. My own district plans to allow the kids to participate at an age appropriate level without penalty, and to have counselors on hand for those that need it.

Are your schools commenting on the National School Walkout?
Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:29 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: National School Walkout

Our schools are not commenting here, or at least that I have heard. I don't know how it works with public schools in other parts of the country, but here attendance rates are tied in to funding from the state. It harms the school financially (thus harming other students) to have children absent, so there are very tough truancy policies and great efforts made to get kids to school. Any kids who participate here will be hurting their schools and their peers.

I'm going to disagree with you though. I'm very opposed to the kids choosing to "walkout" of school. I support them having opinions and hey, if they want to protest after school or on a Saturday? Go for it. I think, however, that a society without rules and order is a society going downhill. I worry very much about kids who receive no penalty for breaking rules (any rules). This is a disservice to society and to them. My opinion is that if the kids feel strongly enough, they can break the rules, and take the punishment. That shows more courage and conviction, and I'd respect them so much more for that. Rosa Parks was a powerful agent for change because she accepted the punishment.

I pay a lot in taxes to educate those kids. I want them in their seats in the schools, learning school subjects.

My DD's university was one of those that issued a statement saying that they wouldn't allow any punishments for peaceful protest to sway admission decisions. That rubbed me the wrong way for two reasons. (1) They didn't issue the statement before, say, the March for Life. If they are going to be fine with kids missing school for a cause they believe in, it needs to be all causes, not just certain causes. It's not. And (2) they have basically stated that breaking the law is okay, as long as it's peaceful. Which helps explain the heavy drug use, and lack of subsequent consequences, at the school.
Old March 11th, 2018, 02:26 PM

rattlesnake is on a distinguished road

I agree with you, KayKay, on this. I have read some responses that I agree with, instead of walking out, how about making a special point trying to be nicer to fellow students who feel left out or bullied?

But I do not want to turn this into all the "shooters" are victims of bullying. I don't feel that way at all, and don't believe that most who are bullied turn on their classmates. They are more likely to take their own lives rather than others.
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:09 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

I'm inclined to be in agreement with Lucy. Yes values need to be instilled in all kids to be kinder to each other and not bully but this is a seperate issue from gun safety and control.

Bullying may be a symptom towards an enraged child or adult who goes on such a murderous rampage but the method of doing so has become so easily accessible. People have a harder time (in the UK at least) to purchase pills to OD than people in the US have to purchase a gun. 13 yo kids have been proven to be able to walk into a store and porches a gun but been refused a lottery ticket! Yes there are laws in place to ban underage kids from gambling or drinking etc. So why are guns not given the same consideration.

As for teaching children they have to abide by and follow rules, in today's society it's more a case of do as I say, not as I do. Too many people in power are just plainly and blatantly abusing laws and rules and people they deem to be below them. Kids today are seeing that it's ok for people to be bullied and abused. Adults are receiving validation from the President and senators no less that is ok to be racist and facist and xenophobic and mysogynistic etc. Are these the people we really want the kids to conform to?

I applaud these kids. I'm in awe of these kids they ARE standing up to bullies on a much bigger play ground. These are the kids that need to be representative of our future and give hope that we don't have to resign ourselves to be under the rule of the current leaders we have. If they can pull this off without guns being involved, without any violence on their part and get heard by the world then I think they are our amazing and inspirational role models of the future.
Thereís one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old March 12th, 2018, 10:31 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil View Post
Bullying may be a symptom towards an enraged child or adult who goes on such a murderous rampage but the method of doing so has become so easily accessible. People have a harder time (in the UK at least) to purchase pills to OD than people in the US have to purchase a gun. 13 yo kids have been proven to be able to walk into a store and porches a gun but been refused a lottery ticket! Yes there are laws in place to ban underage kids from gambling or drinking etc. So why are guns not given the same consideration.
That's the thing, Anns... they are. There are tons of laws on the books preventing the sale of firearms. That's the problem. The laws haven't helped prevent these shootings. The shooters who shouldn't have or didn't obtain their guns legally got guns anyway.

I want very much for these shootings to stop, and if more gun laws will help then by all means... more gun laws, please! I just think we need to stop being naÔve about what the real problems are. More gun laws won't solve the underlying problems that cause sick people to do these types of things.

I don't own a gun and wouldn't own a gun. So I'm not some random gun nut. But life in my world is very different from life in the worlds where most of the anti-gun rhetoric is coming from. Guns are necessary tools here in my world, not weapons.

What I don't understand is how it is that I can't take a bottle of water on an airplane or a Swiss Army knife into a courthouse, and a kid with a troubled history and a sea of red flags can walk into a school with an AR-15 type of gun? Why are these gun-free zones (another law on the books) not monitored and protected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annsdil
As for teaching children they have to abide by and follow rules, in today's society it's more a case of do as I say, not as I do. Too many people in power are just plainly and blatantly abusing laws and rules and people they deem to be below them. Kids today are seeing that it's ok for people to be bullied and abused.
That's a huge societal failing. That's my point. Please explain to me why the kids need to walk out of school? Why can't they protest after school hours? You see? The kids - right there - are being taught that their opinions are more important than the societal good of educating them. I'm fine with the kids protesting. I really am. But not when they are wasting the resources that I have paid for.

Quote:
Adults are receiving validation from the President and senators no less that is ok to be racist and facist and xenophobic and mysogynistic etc. Are these the people we really want the kids to conform to?
I'm going to take exception to that, Anns. I'm not a fan of any of the people to whom you are referring, but I totally disagree that they are validating that it's okay to be racist, facist, xenophobic and misogynistic. There are certainly groups who are that way, and they are repulsive, but I think the media reports things that simply aren't true. I don't "think" it - I KNOW it. There are far too many hypocrites who stand up and point fingers at others when they think their own guilt is hidden.

Quote:
I applaud these kids. I'm in awe of these kids they ARE standing up to bullies on a much bigger play ground. These are the kids that need to be representative of our future and give hope that we don't have to resign ourselves to be under the rule of the current leaders we have. If they can pull this off without guns being involved, without any violence on their part and get heard by the world then I think they are our amazing and inspirational role models of the future.
It's a very fine line, Anns. You see, increasingly, these kids are BECOMING the intolerant bullies. I read a very interesting opinion piece by a teacher who was conflicted about the walkout, because he realized that there would be students in his class who didn't agree with it and didn't want to do it, but wouldn't be give then option to stay in the classroom.

Mostly I wish the adults would solve the problems so that kids whose brains aren't fully developed wouldn't have to.
Old March 13th, 2018, 03:53 PM

To answer your question about whether or not our local schools have commented, they finally have. Most area school districts are on spring break, so it's a moot point. Four local school districts are in session and the local news reports that their responses are "low key."

One district superintendent (suburban school) said that no one had (as of today) filled out paperwork to participate, although they did have a few students express an interest. If they had students get up and walk out, teachers would accompany them. (this means that unless the whole class went, some kids would be left unattended)

One district superintendent (urban school) said that if students chose to walk out, they will be allowed to do so. Staff would "keep an eye on them" while the teachers stayed with the class. There would be no punitive action unless they weren't present when roll was being called, in which case they'd be marked absent.

One district superintendent (suburban school) said that they don't plan any punitive actions should students walk out. There had not yet been any kids asking about it, but if kids do choose to walk out, they are going to be asked to go to the cafeteria or auditorium where the school can better monitor them. That district has tried to change the narrative from a walkout to doing acts of kindness in the name of the Parkland victims.

The Country Club school district had an organized committee to coordinate the walkout, and were sending home letters to the parents to detail what to expect if students choose to walk out. They were mum on what that would be, but given that they had a committee coordinating the walkout, it probably isn't punitive.
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:21 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has opted to remain in her seat and pray during the walk out. I support that. I'd also support her walking out. Although our district is not going to penalize the students, I would have supported her walking out or sitting in and accept the consequences.

The choice of timing is based on the last school shooting. It's a better sign and maybe a bigger impact to walk out of the school than to do it after school. That's why we pro-lifers protest in front of abortion clinics during their operating hours.

Education is very important. So is the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." So is our mandate to "establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity." It is a real shame that our children have to take a stand in order to protect themselves because the adults running the their world fail.

I am proud of them for standing in spite of the adults who disagree with their decisions. I look forward to seeing them take their place in society, many of them being able to vote this year. I am not going to let my middle-aged cynicism stop them from dreaming and working for the common good.
Old March 14th, 2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
My daughter has opted to remain in her seat and pray during the walk out. I support that. I'd also support her walking out. Although our district is not going to penalize the students, I would have supported her walking out or sitting in and accept the consequences.
Remaining in her seat and praying (especially in a public school setting) is a courageous act imo, and I'm glad she did that. Walking out if there were consequences would also have been a courageous act, imo. What did her teachers do? Did they go with the kids who walked out or stay in the classroom with the kids who stayed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt
The choice of timing is based on the last school shooting. It's a better sign and maybe a bigger impact to walk out of the school than to do it after school. That's why we pro-lifers protest in front of abortion clinics during their operating hours.
Okay, I understand that. (Although here a lot of the pro-life protests are after hours, because the abortion clinic has limited hours) I don't understand what you mean by it being based on the last school shooting? The shooting started later in the afternoon, close to dismissal.

Also, they're having the March for Our Lives, the event that this Walkout was intended to raise energy for, on a Saturday.

Quote:
Education is very important. So is the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." So is our mandate to "establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity." It is a real shame that our children have to take a stand in order to protect themselves because the adults running the their world fail.
It IS a shame! I think the kids need to be worrying about whose team they're going to be on for Red Rover at recess, not worrying about a school shooter. I want the adults to come up with a solution. What is the solution?

Quote:
I am proud of them for standing in spite of the adults who disagree with their decisions. I look forward to seeing them take their place in society, many of them being able to vote this year. I am not going to let my middle-aged cynicism stop them from dreaming and working for the common good.
Middle-aged cynicism? Guilty as charged, I guess.
Old March 14th, 2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
What did her teachers do? Did they go with the kids who walked out or stay in the classroom with the kids who stayed?
Some were in, some were out. There are rules about leaving kids unsupervised in classrooms which were supposed to be followed.

Quote:
(Although here a lot of the pro-life protests are after hours, because the abortion clinic has limited hours) I don't understand what you mean by it being based on the last school shooting? The shooting started later in the afternoon, close to dismissal.
We do 24 hours, but the most effective according to the organizer are during working hours. The date was based on the last school shooting; the timing chosen to be most effective. 17 minutes for the kids to come out, and then return to their classrooms, in honor of the 17 who will never return.

Quote:
Also, they're having the March for Our Lives, the event that this Walkout was intended to raise energy for, on a Saturday.
It's a series of demonstrations. There's another one planned for the anniversary of Columbine.

Quote:
What is the solution?

Middle-aged cynicism? Guilty as charged, I guess.
I don't know what the solution is, and I, personally, don't think there is a good one. There are better and worse options, but not a good one. That's why I'm cynical. There were many doubters about MLK's non-violent demonstrations, but they were wrong. I probably am, too. Let the kids try.
Old March 14th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Some were in, some were out. There are rules about leaving kids unsupervised in classrooms which were supposed to be followed.
I'm glad y'all have enough teachers/staff to do that. The Country Club school district here does too, so their kids wouldn't go unsupervised. The poorer, urban schools don't.

Quote:
The date was based on the last school shooting; the timing chosen to be most effective. 17 minutes for the kids to come out, and then return to their classrooms, in honor of the 17 who will never return.
Oh, I misunderstood. You meant the 17 minutes. I thought you meant the 10am.

Quote:
I don't know what the solution is, and I, personally, don't think there is a good one. There are better and worse options, but not a good one. That's why I'm cynical. There were many doubters about MLK's non-violent demonstrations, but they were wrong. I probably am, too. Let the kids try.
Let's hope the kids can consider all sides and all possibilities and come up with a solution that adults haven't been able to figure out yet.