Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old December 12th, 2017, 09:02 AM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of
Extremely sketch -- new tenant and his "hobby?"

I am a new tenant here, too. After two total FAIL! apartment rentals I had within a year - mostly due to management not tending to tenants breaking lease and it impacted ME or my pet in a very bad COSTLY way!!

My pet paid the price with his health: one place the tenant above allowed his mastiff to relieve himself on balcony-- four/five times a day. urine/feces would seep through slats of their wooden floor onto ME, my pet, my patio furniture, plants, my little art projects, etc.

For three months! until I rented a ladder and took pix. Management did nothing until I rented a ladder - and loaded into my tiny car on Christmas eve last year. I even filed a police report! My pet suffered an e.coli infection in one ear. Found it 7 days after tenant above was moved to a town home in the complex after showing office the pix of the mess on balcony. Cost me $500 in vet bills.
The next place - I truly liked the layout. BUT, they did not treat lawn/grass for any type of pest. The hallways were infested with: FLEAS. Cost me over $300 to treat. My place and my pet. No more. Not fleas. They were biting me. Ew.

Now:

The new guy downstairs in my building moves in a little over a month ago - I believe it's "mom" helping him with a bed, a dresser, a lamp and tv.

That is it.

Been a couple or so weeks now, and still no furniture. LR is empty - he leaves blinds open - first floor - I walk my pet in front of building. He basically lives with his girlfriend in the bedroom. Those blinds open, too. yikes

He doesn't seem to have dishes either because of the many trash bags he leaves in the hallway stuffed full of paper plates and cups, etc. It is a lease NO NO.

#2 - His smelly boots - #3 his reluctance to clean after pet...it's sad and well, awful. seven other tenants in the building and you barely know they are there other than they open door to enter...NO garbage. Clean up after pet. Quiet. Friendly. No trash left in hall. Nothing in front of door.

Now - #4:

It is the ODOR that is really bugging me. Now. Either burning sage sticks or they have a pet skunk that keeps spraying...not sure. But it stinks. As well as the tenant leaves the security door open on certain days to allow many 10 minute visitors in. They arrive, slam door, 10 mins - leave. I can tell by the many, many door slams!

If I am out with PET for a walk, I see a truck pull up, hear door slam and they are out in 5-10 minutes and leave. Then a red car, or a silver suv, etc

While I am still waiting for pet to do "business."

I think it is a pot house. Where I live certain medical CBD OIL is allowed ONLY if you have epilepsy and you have a script or card or whatever saying you need this for health reasons. And it MUST be a particular type of medicinal oil.

Fine. This is NOT what is. But WHAT can be said or done?

The stench is permeating through the walls. It goes through the HVAC - and I can smell it by the furnace room. I have TWO air filters going all day every day to MY expense. My furnace has a brand new HEPA filter that I bought in hopes of getting rid of odor. I leave my essential oil diffuser going when home.

I have had TWO people visiting that notice upon entering the building that it just reeks.

I know when he is selling, for the cars/trucks/suvs and drivers come and go. Some early in am - mostly later in evening. And the security door is open.

Looks like I need to find another apartment. #4. SIGH....

I knew renting in a complex would have it's negatives. I have a pet and basically this is it. The local duplex, houses, etc charge massive amounts of money if you have a pet that fits the size/type guidelines.

I had to have FICO score - copies of savings, etc. This is a 20 something kid. Total lack of consideration for anyone. I

HATES IT.

Just a rant. Nothing can be done...

...land of the free. kind of...maybe...not so much.
Old December 13th, 2017, 07:49 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Extremely sketch -- new tenant and his "hobby?"

Wow! That sounds bad.

Go to Radio Shack and get a $5.00 1.5volt beeping alarm. Take some black electricians tape, a couple of 4inch wires and a AA battery. Tape the wires to the +/- terminals of the alarm and likewise to the battery terminals. Then take the contraption and set it by their bedroom window.

It won't be crazy loud but it will be loud enough to drive them crazy at night.

Beeeeep... Beeeep.... Beeeep....
Old December 13th, 2017, 09:16 AM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

ooooh, me likey!!

BUT! Since they removed the screen from their bedroom sliding windows and had it propped up against building - (someone locked out?) until I brought it in and placed by their door - I have a feeling they use the window entrance at times.To let the dog out.
( a late night purchaser might pull up while installing beep beep).

Or worse, they'll be soooo smoked up they won't hear it and I will!! LOL.

I am doing ALOT of reading on how to let go OF THINGS I CAN'T CHANGE NO MATTER WHAT. And considering the purchase of a metal ladder to get out of my room in case someone knocks over the bong or whatever, and starts a fire. Dog will go into the big zippy bag that the straps can go around my shoulders, and we will go down the ladder.

(***one of the office people told me his name and that he moved in after some fire in previous place. I didn't question. I just took my delivered package and went back to plan my escape)

This is not a low rent complex.

I don't think I can afford another lease break. I can't. SOOO, They are on total ignore and I will tell MY visitors the guy in the back rolls his own smelly cigars... or something.

I may just keep putting service requests in for smell in hallway tho -

Last edited by JemStar; December 13th, 2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old December 15th, 2017, 06:01 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Jem. You seem to have good coping abilities at tolerating BS.
Old December 15th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Jet Setter

trixxie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemStar View Post
ooooh, me likey!!

I don't think I can afford another lease break. I can't. SOOO, They are on total ignore and I will tell MY visitors the guy in the back rolls his own smelly cigars... or something.

I may just keep putting service requests in for smell in hallway tho -
Check with your local landlord/tenant laws in your state/city - arm yourself with facts.
You and yours need to be safe! Sounds like this tenant pushes the envelope when it comes to safety. Especially if you're on the 2nd floor!
You can find out your rights, if the situation is untenable - I would do some research and find out your options and if this tenant is bordering on making your place uninhabitable - you have rights to break your lease. Bring to the attention of the leasing office/manager - and document, document, document all conversations and dates with the manager - and either their cooperation of lack of.
I would think if you have all the facts straight and documented that the manager/leasing office would want to be aware of it. Between the two tenants (yourself and this *neighbor*) you'd win hands down!
I wouldn't let it go… but thats me!
Old December 17th, 2017, 06:36 PM

I just may have to. The smell is again leeching up into MY bathroom and end of hall near furnace/water heater closet. I don't want it. I just don't want it.

I will go to the office tomorrow and just see what is up.

I will probably need to make several maintenance requests about smells/odors. Until either they give up on me and stop checking - or give me the option of getting out.

Management is strange. They just need to fill the empties.

Old December 17th, 2017, 10:03 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

What about tipping off the police? Would they be able to help you?
Old December 18th, 2017, 06:34 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

((Hugs))

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old December 19th, 2017, 04:58 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Jem, we have an issue with someone in our neighborhood. I finally gave up.

I hope you get a better resolution.
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks everyone...
I moved into this building for one BIG reason: a security door. Exterior door gets you to the mailboxes and buzzers and a LOCKED door to interior which I LOVED and sought in apartment complexes.

Well, the big problemmo I feel with MarijuanaMan is that he leaves the security door open for the many, many five minute visitors that arrive on certain days - usually once a week. No need to buzz THEM in...the door is left wide open. These "visitors" are kind of loud. Cars running in lot.

I heard doors last night (SLAM) - it was late and peeked out my door and saw that the security door was open. A guy in a LOUD red car had just left MM's (marijuanaman) apartment. There was a black truck that i saw in lot, another five minute guest. what? I went down and closed the security door and sent off a message to management. About the doors - and that this particular amenity was what motivated me to sign a lease here. Due to the relationship with an angry exspouse (which I hid from for a very long time), a security door was important. I did not explain this to the management, that my ex was abusive and completely off his rails.

But it isn't secure when left open.

I notice there is a police suv in the driveway of a duplex next door and I just might take a walk and ask about the deals going on. I did mention, in my notice to management, that I feel MarijuanaMan is dealing drugs. Come on, I was a teen during the 70's!! Pot was everywhere.

It's always something...this kid downstairs is a part-time line cook at a type of a themed eatery grille (they describe themselves) - so where does he get the $1000 a month for a under 800 sq ft -- one bedroom? (There are utilities, too to pay along with rent: $1200 a month?) Unless mom signed the lease and --- pays? But she does NOT live there. It is MM, a girlfriend, and a little dog that does NOT bark or whimper. Ever. I'll call his pet stonedpuppy.

It's a big mess and I don't like it. If the smoke is coming thru my dryer vent in the bathroom, that means the two older women downstairs are tokin it up in the bathroom. And I kept a bit of a schedule: every four hours until dinner time. Then, some appeared later around 8 oclock.

What is going on? I am seriously considering a "small" house thing in the woods somewhere - but bears scare me more than this...I know weed is illegal in my state. You may ONLY have some type of oil, with a prescription if you have epilepsy. ONLY.

I hate to be the draggy chic at the party, but there are woods in the back and they can go party there or in their cars. The smell of this weed is skunk. or sage stick-like. yech. permeates everything.