Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Anything & Everything Forum > Open Chat

Open Chat Discuss anything & everything. (You know the rules-- keep it clean.)

Old March 17th, 2018, 05:53 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
DNA testing

Has anyone done it?

Pros & Cons?

DS and I have discussed it, my ex was adopted and ....well... we're curious

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old March 19th, 2018, 12:10 PM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DNA testing

My wife once suggested I get a DNA test to see if I'm part of the human race.

I didn't. So no.
Old March 19th, 2018, 01:39 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

You might find you are as much as 4% Neanderthal, Knot!

I'm skeered of doing a DNA kit for fun. If FB sells data from silly quizzes to be misused, what would happen with my DNA???
Old March 19th, 2018, 02:03 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I was all gung ho to do one last year. I was actually going to ask for one for Christmas, and one for my DH as well. Then when I got on the website to research them, I found out that your DNA becomes part of a database whether you're okay with that or not. They don't advertise that well. Caveat Emptor.

I would have definitely done one if no one other than me had access to the results. I think I know my heritage, but I'd be interested in seeing for sure. But I didn't like the idea of Big Brother getting my DNA information.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 06:25 AM
is never to loud.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
You might find you are as much as 4% Neanderthal, Knot!

I'm skeered of doing a DNA kit for fun. If FB sells data from silly quizzes to be misused, what would happen with my DNA???
Neanderthal... 4%

That wouldn't be to bad. I'm just a bit concerned what the remaining 96% would show... :O

Listened to Zukerbarf on the radio yesterday... Gheesh... Everyone knows anything put on FB becomes FB property. These CEO type play a game of semantics like politicians... Make it sound good to appease the people and all is good.
Old March 25th, 2018, 11:30 AM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
Has anyone done it?

Pros & Cons?

DS and I have discussed it, my ex was adopted and ....well... we're curious
Yes. I did. Thru 23&me. The results are basic.

I chose not to share any data with anyone. Downloaded my report at a couple places online. Didn't really care about 32.5% British & Irish ancestory composition. (likely no unibrow. longer big toe. WTF?)

I did it mainly for MTHFR snps. A health thing.

My take? VAGUE. I had FOUR sites going just trying to UNDERSTAND the mumbo jumbo. I may or may NOT get late onset alzheimers. Etc. etc. etc. Slight risk for late onset macular degeneration. Celiac disease. Thankfully, that was all out of the items tested/results.

It is not a diagnostic tool at all. I thought it would tell more. In order to get the info I seek, I would have to pay an actual testing company for HEALTH information and not so much Ancestory.

I found Geneticoncept online that will take the 23&me raw data and discover if I should possibly NOT eat so much salad...supplement a better B12 and all that.

I found a test kit for 23&me at walgreens (much cheaper than 23&me) and told a couple family members about my find. (One who I am really gonna push the puchase and completion of the kit) I did suggest going thru the site I mentioned above, instead of the run of the mill results. Unibrow report? Really?

I used MTHFR support and genetic genie and found the reports to be too technical. If you have NO idea what exactly you seek, forget it. If you can understand the reports just by reading them...go for it. For example on of the gene & variation: COMT V158M, rsID: rs4680, Alleles: GG, results in a green bar on the report page with a -/- in result. woohoo! (i hope?)

I may be contacting the geneticoncept site soon, tho. The two sites I used for reading were NOT expensive. But the information is confusing. The reports are basic.

You will still need someone to interpret YOUR OWN PERSONAL results. To dig deeper into those mutations.

...land of the free. kind of...maybe...not so much.

Last edited by JemStar; March 25th, 2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old June 6th, 2018, 05:44 PM

rattlesnake is on a distinguished road

Yes, my DH and I recently did it. I did understand about the DNA in the database thing. That is kind of unnerving but I thought about it and figured well if we do something criminal they'll find us easily, but we are not planning to so there is that...

We had already done this at the time the news came out about the Golden State Killer. Did any of you follow that? He was found, largely due to a relative of his being in a database. When they found similar genetics, they started looking more closely at family members and then finally managed to get something from the trash that the Golden State killer left there with his DNA on it.

There is something that sparked me to do this as I previously had no interest. One of my brothers did it a few years ago and it turns out we have a first cousin we didn't know we had. This cousin is also in the database, but she was adopted out as a baby and recently hired a PI to help her find her bio family. So it was not just the database that led to this but it is part of it. At first I was in disbelief when we learned which Aunt had given up a baby all those years ago. I want to word this carefully because I am no in no way judging her for that; I am just surprised because of the family I come from, it seemed my Aunts (including this one) were sort of judgmental of people who did not live perfect little lives. There were 5 siblings in my father's family and my father was definitely the black sheep. Seemed the rest of them were all goody-two shoes and perfect with this one Aunt being the most perfect of all. So it is just a surprise. My father is long gone and so are all of the siblings except that one Aunt who is the bio mother of my newly found cousin. I don't believe my father and mother ever knew this and I wonder if anyone in her family even knew as she did go out of state at the time she had this baby. So it was the finding of a new cousin that really sparked my curiosity.
Old June 24th, 2018, 03:47 PM

JemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud ofJemStar has much to be proud of

OOOOh, ME!! CONS!!!!

I finally got around to really reading the thing and putting it thru a couple other sites to read raw data. which I can't understand. never. just a bunch of letters and numbers to me.

I have the apoe3 AND the apoe 4. great. thanks mom/dad. Which means I have a 3 times the GREATER chance of Alzheimers. THREE?

I know that there could be an allel that counters the 3 and 4. Which I will hunt down like something that is really good at hunting!

I felt pretty smug in knowing I have been organic for 12+ years, gluten free, gmo free, as bare bones with natural stuff as I can GET! Supps, veggies, and triple filter water. Thought I was the stuff for sure. BUT:

THEN I FIND OUT MY BELOVED AVOCADO AND COCONUT OIL CONTAINS--

COPPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not good. not from where I am sitting. I have reduced my coco oil quite a bit. I know the studies are done on those poor teeny wittle mice and it's not right...blessings to those brave soldiers...but why risk it??

It really is time to find a "professional" that can help me decipher all this info and give me a little respite.

ONE GOOD STUDY? Resveratrol from red wine *and a couple other things but I forget, IS REALLY GOOD AT SLAPPING ALZHI AWAY FROM THE BRAIN...bring on the Bordeaux.

...land of the free. kind of...maybe...not so much.

Last edited by JemStar; June 24th, 2018 at 03:51 PM.