Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > All Grown Up

All Grown Up A place to discuss "adult" children.

Old July 19th, 2015, 01:32 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Adult kids moving back in

this is just me being curious - would anyone let their adult kids move back into their home?

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 19th, 2015, 02:01 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adult kids moving back in

I absolutely would, with an understanding that it was just to help them out while they got on their feet, not a permanent thing. I would give them a short period of time to recover (emotionally) from whatever caused them to need to move back in, then they would need to start making a plan for moving out.

My DS is living at home while going to college and TBH he's very easy to live with. We are having no trouble at all with him being here.
Old July 19th, 2015, 03:04 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

would you charge rent?

I think I would - and not let them know they'd get it back once they moved out (help cover 1st & last months rent + security deposit)

Old July 19th, 2015, 03:18 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Not with their partners, if they had any.
Old July 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM
future crazy cat lady

I'm kind of with you, but what if their place had durned down? could/would you do it temporarily?

Old July 19th, 2015, 03:22 PM
future crazy cat lady

Oh yeah, my OS wanted to move back home when she was getting divorce from her first husband. DM told her "No" as OS is entitled and make everyone miserable (OS had been a SAHM - had never had a job other than babysitting)

When I was between jobs and places to live I stay with DM for 3 months.

Old July 19th, 2015, 06:18 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
would you charge rent?

I think I would - and not let them know they'd get it back once they moved out (help cover 1st & last months rent + security deposit)
I wouldn't charge rent, but I have financial/tax related reasons for that. I don't think I would anyway.

One of my good friends just had his DS and his DIL living with him for a couple of months. His DS had gotten married at 18, much to the dad's disapproval. The couple are both in school full time and working. My friend was very glad that they lived with him for that period of time. He got to know his DIL better and gained a lot of respect for the benefit she brings to his DS's life. But he's glad they're gone now.
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:08 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

We lived wth DH's parents for 6 months when our flat got sold just a few months after we got married. We decided to build a house, and lived with them while it was being built. Of course we paid board/rent, and expenses! lol. - We had our own bathroom, makes a big difference.

We also lived with Fil many years later, just after he had been widowed, again for 6 months, and again when we were having a house built (This latter one was a bit of an excuse, we really wanted to keep an eye on him, he was desperately lonely, and wouldn't move in with us). Again, obviously we paid our own way.

If we had room i'd be happy for adult kids to stay.
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:10 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Let them come back? I have a deadline for the kids to leave!

Seriously, i would let them come back. Details would depend on the circumstances. When ODS graduates, he will be responsible for his own expenses, but I won't be collecting rent. The goal is to save for a downpayment on his first place.
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:20 AM
was here. I think.

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I discussed that several years ago and we decided we would do it then. It would, of course, be temporary - about six months to maybe a year. Charging rent... Probably, but the amount would depend on their income.

Our older daughter, years ago... Back during the 2008 greedy-stinking-financial-housing-crash had a great job with a very large corporation. She actually had to travel to Europe a few times for her job. Had a great income until they shut down the department she was working in and laid her off. She received a decent severance package and cashed in her 401k (which is another corporate controlled entity and another story). At any rate, she was unemployed for about 18 months before landing a job at the local University. To finish the story... She had her own place, even though we offered, where she lived for about five years.

Our younger daughter had the option once too, but decided she didn't want to compromise her freedom (I'm a bit "old school" when it comes to "guests" other than family residing in my home).

Kind of ironic really... Had two BIL's living with us on separate occasions and my DD's showed more independence and discipline than these two guys ever did.