Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > In-laws

Old February 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM

grubby will become famous soon enough
Dear Prudence: February 21

From today's Dear Prudence, so what to you guys think?

Dear Prudence,

I've been dating a wonderful man for six years—he's compassionate, smart, funny, and successful—but there's a huge problem. Every weekend since we've been together (that's a lot of weekends), he drives back to his hometown—six hours away, each way. Mind you, he's not in college anymore. He's been out of school for well over a decade. He often gets irritated because he doesn't understand why I don't want to spend my weekends at his parents' home—they are neither sick nor elderly. I go along for the journey every couple of months, and it's nice, but it's a long trip, and it's not my home. Last year, we bought our own home together, and we are talking about having a family. But in the back of my mind, I get a vision of either him bailing on me every weekend to go "home," or us loading up babies for the weekly adventure of cramming into his childhood room. When I suggest he cut down on the trips, he gets defensive and doesn't understand why I think it's a bit strange. Do I suggest relocating our lives so he feels closer to home? Or should I relocate from him?

http://www.slate.com/id/2184829

I was a much better parent... before I had kids!
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM

Grace is on a distinguished road
Re: Dear Prudence: February 21

No prizes for guessing what my response would be.
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM

nonnymouse will become famous soon enough
Re: Dear Prudence: February 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
From today's Dear Prudence, so what to you guys think?

Dear Prudence,

I've been dating a wonderful man for six years—he's compassionate, smart, funny, and successful—but there's a huge problem. Every weekend since we've been together (that's a lot of weekends), he drives back to his hometown—six hours away, each way. Mind you, he's not in college anymore. He's been out of school for well over a decade. He often gets irritated because he doesn't understand why I don't want to spend my weekends at his parents' home—they are neither sick nor elderly. I go along for the journey every couple of months, and it's nice, but it's a long trip, and it's not my home. Last year, we bought our own home together, and we are talking about having a family. But in the back of my mind, I get a vision of either him bailing on me every weekend to go "home," or us loading up babies for the weekly adventure of cramming into his childhood room. When I suggest he cut down on the trips, he gets defensive and doesn't understand why I think it's a bit strange. Do I suggest relocating our lives so he feels closer to home? Or should I relocate from him?

http://www.slate.com/id/2184829
There's a reason Mr. "compassionate, smart, funny, and successful" was single. IF she wants to be married to them too, by all means relocate and plan for a family of ultra togetherness. If she doesn't like his reaction now she should move on. Adding a child-wow...