Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > In-laws

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:00 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
dear margo

does this sound familiar to anyone?

This Is No Mother-in-Law Joke

DEAR MARGO: My husband and I have been married for over 16 years. When we met, I had no clue that his mother was mentally unstable. The first clue came when we were dating: My guy would tell her where we were going or where we went, and his mom immediately began to complain that no one ever took her to places like that. After the wedding it got worse. Every time we would make plans to go out, he would call his mom to join us. We never went anywhere without her until I put my foot down. Shortly thereafter, things went from weird to worse. My husband, over the years, has proved to be the most selfish person I know, not to mention unsupportive and lazy. My heart is broken. A recent incident that involved my m-i-l nearly ruined our family. He says she has no hold on him, but he gets absolutely stupid when she opens her mouth. He lies to her to make her happy and blames me for whatever displeases her. With two kids, I am ready to call it quits. I have put up with a lot. Where is my other half? Where is my friend? He ain’t it. Am I wrong? —- FRANTIC FOR A CHANGE

DEAR FRAN: I would agree that you have a thorny problem: Mama’s nuts and sonny is a basket case (the product of her neuroses). I’m wondering how he was able to hide it until after you’d married. In any case, since you’re halfway out the door anyway, your situation is tailor-made for a couple’s counselor. (Attendance mandatory. If he balks, next stop: lawyers.) The deal is that he must shape up or else, though I will concede that, nutty mother issues aside, it is usually hard for anyone over the age of 13 to undo selfishness, laziness and denial. —- MARGO, ULTIMATELY
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: dear margo

The first clue came when they were dating. Hmmmmm. Things went from bad to worse after they married. Hmmmmm. And she chose to stay and have children with him?

Let's keep this thread in mind for everytime someone comes on saying they don't know what to do about their boyfriend's mother and we all yell "RUN, FOREST, RUN!!"
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

HisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud ofHisHeathenHoney has much to be proud of
Re: dear margo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
The first clue came when they were dating. Hmmmmm. Things went from bad to worse after they married. Hmmmmm. And she chose to stay and have children with him?

"Just call me Cleopatra, everybody, 'cause......"