Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old December 4th, 2016, 04:19 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Teaching DS to cook

My DS just turned 18 and I'm wondering how others taught their kids to cook.

My idea (subject to change) is that he take over making supper 1 night per week (w/help from mom as needed)

....Taco Tuesday w/corn cake (see recipe forum for corn cake recipe)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old December 4th, 2016, 04:32 PM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Teaching DS to cook

I've been doing this with my eldest two for the last year or so. I told them they would alternate weekly to cook a dinner from a recipe of their choice on a Thursday.

DD wanted to go first so she chose her menu. Them on the day she decided she'd prefer to go play out. So I told them all that since chef was obviously on strike they would have to starve. ODS looked up a recipe then to make scrambled eggs and toast and took it upon himself to make it for him and YDS. When DD returned she attempted to make her dinner but it didn't work out too well. ODS first attempt was lovely!

I started by showing how to get all the equipment they needed and how to weigh ingredients. I would stand over them getting them to read each step of the recipe out. I would put food in the oven or do the frying if hit oil was involved.

Gradually I would step back and let them work stuff out and do all the cooking themselves whilst I looked on. For the main now ODS is pretty much independent and I rarely watch him unless he asks for help. With DD I stay in the kitchen so I can keep a sly eye on her and be there if she needs it.

I don't let them make up ready prepared foods. It has to be something from scratch recipe that they follow, basically because if they learn how to follow a recipe they can cook anytime.
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara