Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old November 24th, 2016, 06:33 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Teaching my son to drive....eeeeeepppppp!!!!!

Do you think she was trying to infer that your son has potential to move on to a higher education level?

I don't know if what we have in the US is similar to NZ, but we have a way people can complete the high school learning outside of the school setting which sounds like your method. Most of the people who have pursue that method aren't interested in continuing on to college (which almost 70% of kids do in the US). So from my perspective, I wouldn't have found it insulting if a teacher questioned why my kid wanted to drop out of high school? Could just be a cultural difference. :/
Old November 24th, 2016, 07:55 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
Do you think she was trying to infer that your son has potential to move on to a higher education level?

I don't know if what we have in the US is similar to NZ, but we have a way people can complete the high school learning outside of the school setting which sounds like your method. Most of the people who have pursue that method aren't interested in continuing on to college (which almost 70% of kids do in the US). So from my perspective, I wouldn't have found it insulting if a teacher questioned why my kid wanted to drop out of high school? Could just be a cultural difference. :/
We do have places here called Technical Institutes they are not like Universities although the quals are just the same on a lower scale,and they are for jobs such as nursing,architecture,electricians,automotive etc,in a more of a low key environment.My son took the form to fill in to her and said he wasnt returning next year and that the form was for an education profile for the correspondence school. She then said 'Why are you leaving....blah blah blah and that the correspondence school is for drop outs and un achievers,but this statement is not true at all as many kids do this now and its also for kids who are geopraphically isolated also. Next year our system is changing where there will be a partnership of correspondence schools together in something called "Cool Schools". They are a collective of govt approved institutions where the new thing next year it will we an option to home school your kids or go to school by correspondence, usually you have to get special permission to do this,but next year you can just choose it,the kids just do their external exams organised by the correspondence school at the local school. This particular correspondence school is well known and has been around for many years here with children and adult students enrolled. So the teacher in question is actually misinforming people saying its a bad place to go basically,her statements are not even correct on the matter.Ironically she deals with this school all the time,so she should know better. The school my son has left has changed since the new principal came along,he is for the rich and wealthy and never mind anyone below that and the teachers are quite uppity too.There is a divide between rich and poor,with the rich kids having a go at kids living in poorer areas,I think there are better ways and choices of words than this woman chose at the time and she should not be spreading untrue rubbish about another institution that is not true. We dont need her personal opinion on anything.

Over here people are frowned on if you leave school early,even if its no one else business to start with.You can be instantly stereo typed into being some sort of loser.She could have just asked him instead of making silly comments.She also has to remember she was speaking to a child,so her comments can be quite lasting and hurtful really.What she said over here was really inappropriate and not how we handle things.She should be better at listening and asking first off, not making silly comments.

Last edited by Catwoman; November 24th, 2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old December 4th, 2016, 05:16 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

A little update...my son is completing the second half of his lifeguard certificate this week(this is his second week of learning 8 hours a day) that allows him to be on guard and officially work there at the pool complex, the job officially starts on DEC 12th. He is getting his uniform and his all access staff pass to the whole facility so hes excited lol.....he also is getting his first pay,next week which I am taking care of and only giving him a very small amount to spend lol.....hes been learning how to rescue all types of potential patients, and learning conflict resolution and how to deal with the public,how to lead rescues and having diving and swimming instruction, they are also completing a first aid cert that is valid for 2 years,paid for by the council who owns the pools......he said hes learning with 4 others so only 5 people were chosen this time....he said he loves it. He also was accepted into the correspondence school today as well....my little boy grows up!!
Old December 4th, 2016, 05:52 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

congrats

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )