Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old March 14th, 2015, 10:46 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Home remedy cleaner for shower doors please??

Its a little off track but we used to have the Colgate ad, where they dipped the piece of chalk into the big glass of purple liquid and snapped it saying something like "Colgate really gets in??".....the toothpaste ad....it was another 80s classic...hahahaha....did you guys get that one??
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:36 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Home remedy cleaner for shower doors please??

yep - I'd forgotten about it though
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:40 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

hated cleaning my shower door, but I read somewhere after you clean it, to rub on some lemon oil, which is supposed to help, never did that....I took my door off and put up a shower curtain. Hated cleaning the door all the time...and after one shower it's stained again? Nope, nope, nope, not for me.

and that is what I think about when those beautiful all around glass showers are shown...yuck!
Old January 26th, 2017, 12:22 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

So, I thought I finally had this beat! I bought an orbital car buffer and automotive glass polish to tackle my doors. Two hours later, my arms are exhausted. The hard water stains are still there.

I then tried an extra fine sanding sponge. That didn't work, either, although it did wonders on the porcelain.

I will leave the doors for now because they're easier to use with kids in the house. I know they're clean.

I think I'm just going to have to admit defeat. Or maybe I'll try 3000 grit sandpaper...
Old January 26th, 2017, 03:18 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, what???? What is on your shower doors beside soap scum?

(hmmm.... I have an orbital car buffer and glass cleaner.... might not need to use it, but it sure sounds a lot more fun!)
Old January 26th, 2017, 03:52 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

We have very hard water, 17 grains/gallon. It's softened, but we still get a heavy mineral buildup on the doors if the kids don't squeegee after their showers. They don't.
Old January 26th, 2017, 09:30 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. I thought we had hard water (don't know the grains/gallon)! I get mineral deposits on faucets and things like the ice dispenser in the fridge. But not on the glass shower door!
Old January 27th, 2017, 04:56 AM

It's bad. You should have seen the dishwasher before we got the water softener. It was caked with mineral deposits every week. I learned very quickly how to take it apart.
Old January 27th, 2017, 07:54 AM

Oh yeah, we get lots of mineral deposits in the dishwasher and grit left behind on glasses especially since they stopped putting phosphates in detergents. I have had to start using a detergent booster and running my dishwasher on the extra hot cycle just to get my dishes clean.