Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old June 5th, 2014, 10:11 AM

Never is on a distinguished road
Shopping habits

The other day I went shopping and when I got home I was putting away my normal supplies when I realized I should probably downsize some of my purchases.

After years of buying things for a family of 5 and the friends that my children would bring home do I really need the super mega 80 pack of toilet tissue?

Thinking it over, it had been 4 months or more since I had bought any, it is actually much cheaper to buy it in bulk, so I guess I will still be buying the bulk packs. I have been separating foods and other things down to smaller portions also and the same rule applies, it is cheaper to buy the bulk sizes. So, when I go shopping it still looks like I have an army at home.

Hardest part is remembering not to buy perishable items for my kids, the certain items they wanted that just go to waste if I buy them now.

I remember when I was first married and I would hide a 4 pack of TP under items in the cart along with feminine hygiene items I did not want people seeing. Now I load the big packs on top of my cart and don’t really think much of it.
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:46 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shopping habits

I have certain items that I buy in bulk from Costco/Sam's. Toilet tissue, paper towels, and laundry detergent are all cheaper, unless I have a coupon (which I normally don't).

Other than that, I have gotten really, really bad about going to the grocery store multiple times per week rather than one trip per week like I used to. I don't plan menus like I used to - it's more of a "eh, what am I in the mood to cook tonight?" approach.
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:14 AM

Never is on a distinguished road

I was not sure if I could mention Sam’s which is where I do much of my shopping, I load up those big carts every time I go. Something I started doing recently is buying those pre-made lasagna, Chinese entrées and Mexican dinners in the freezer section.

Usually around $10-12 each they are sooooo good. Can not make homemade that cheap, super quick and easy and no major cleanup needed. I never tried those until my kids were all moved out, wish that I had now. When my kids visit they complain that I buy the good stuff for myself. I was just trying to get quick and easy for myself, thought I was doing the right thing by cooking all these years.
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:29 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use many of the prepared entrees, to be honest. Some are probably really good, but I try to stay away from a lot of salt (which really bothers me) and preservatives. Plus, my DH has an extreme aversion to onions (i.e. he gets physically ill if there's a hint of onion flavor in anything) and onions seem to be in everything.
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:46 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
I have certain items that I buy in bulk from Costco/Sam's. Toilet tissue, paper towels, and laundry detergent are all cheaper, unless I have a coupon (which I normally don't).
I shop at BJ's and I can use coupons there, often multiple coupons!

I buy bulk in non-perishables.
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:56 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

buying non-perishable items in bulk makes sense to me, it's cheaper overall & you don't have to get it as often

I wish we could get salt and vinegar chips in bulk, we're lucky if a bag lasts more than two days
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:34 AM

SunnyMay is on a distinguished road

I buy everything only on the list