Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old June 20th, 2017, 01:31 PM

NagathaChristie is on a distinguished road
Girl stuff

I am not a parent. My MIL and FIL have custody of their grandkids. My husband and I have been picking up the kids and taking them on activities on the weekends because MIL now has dementia and FIL is physically disabled (I posted all about this under Topic Other).

So... the younger child is 10 and its very clear that she is beginning to develop. I do not think her grandparents noticed or understand this. I think she needs a training bra or something. Any advice on how to approach this? I am happy to pay for it. I do not want to embarass any one.
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:39 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Girl stuff

Take her shopping! Nowadays bralettes are in style, so you can take her someplace that sells them and have her try on a top, then say "Hmmm. I like that, but try it with this underneath."

My kids' school handled it the best way I've ever heard of anyone handling it. Bras were a mandatory part of the girl's P.E. uniform starting in 4th grade, whether it was needed or not. Maybe you can ask if that's the case for your IL's granddaughter and buy her a couple "just in case she needs them for school." Athletic bras are all over the place now, and most girls wear them instead of training bras.

I can't remember if you said if the older one was a girl or not. If so, maybe she can get some new bras and the younger one can get the hand-me-downs.
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:17 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

My DD12 started with sports bras. She still wears them.

I like the way the school handled them, KayKay.
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:34 PM

KayKay, GREAT idea! I can make the focus the top instead of the bra. Thank you! I have no experience with girls. I have only had nephews in the past.
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:37 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

... for my DS I went thru several books at the book store & chose

"What's happening to my body, a book for boys" (or something like that - there was also a girl version)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:54 PM

Great idea. I think she is probably approaching the age where a book like that is needed. I just checked Amazon and American Girl has one.
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:09 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagathaChristie View Post
Great idea. I think she is probably approaching the age where a book like that is needed. I just checked Amazon and American Girl has one.
Just FYI, I didn't buy the AG book for my DD because some of the drawn pics were more graphic than needed to be. I ended up buying this book for her and it was shared through the neighborhood:

https://www.amazon.com/Girls-Body-Bo.../dp/160433004X

I found it at 5 Below.
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:53 AM

thank you!
Old November 18th, 2017, 01:03 PM

SarcasmAndRainbows is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagathaChristie View Post
I am not a parent. My MIL and FIL have custody of their grandkids. My husband and I have been picking up the kids and taking them on activities on the weekends because MIL now has dementia and FIL is physically disabled (I posted all about this under Topic Other).

So... the younger child is 10 and its very clear that she is beginning to develop. I do not think her grandparents noticed or understand this. I think she needs a training bra or something. Any advice on how to approach this? I am happy to pay for it. I do not want to embarass any one.
Just buy her one and give it to her.
Tell her if she has any girl questions itís wise to not go to someone as old as your MIl if she wants correct up to date information.