Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old August 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
@#*% Cats

My cats have lousy litterbox habits

One, when she gets POed pees outside the litterbox(s). The only thing that seem to change her behavior is moving from one home to another. She'll use the litterboxes again until she gets POed again. At least she poops in the litterboxes. We've got a rubber mat with a bathroom throw rug right outside the litterboxes & she pees there

The other cat - well he won't poop in a box that has poop in it (one time use ) He's taken to pooping on the rug outside the litterboxes IF there's poop in both boxes.

I clean the boxes anywhere from 1-3 times a day.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:40 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: @#*% Cats

My cats' owners have lousy litterbox habits. The cats are pretty cool. We have two litterboxes that get changed once per week (way less than suggested) and somehow (miraculously) they don't smell and the cats are good with it. Thank goodness.

The only "issue" we have is that one of the cats forgets to turn around when he goes in the box. Our boxes have lids on them, and he'll go in head first and not turn around, which means the "business end" is sticking out of the entrance when he goes. Rubber mat to the rescue!
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Lizzie will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: @#*% Cats

Our little kitten is very clean too...but the litter box stinks! Doesnt seem to matter
when I change it! I have it in the utility room off the kitchen.
She goes outside too but as shes waiting for spay on Thurs shes in all the time!
The older cat is fantastic...goes out and does bizz outside...never bothers with
the litter....dont ya love these little kitties.....
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:54 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid cat OK, the cat's not stupid - I just got to get better organized .

I came home from my interview today & found our gray cat curled up sleeping in the clean (now fur covered) dish towels & dish clothes that I hadn't folded yet. So I had to rewash them .
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM
future crazy cat lady

[quote=KayKay;29926 We have two litterboxes that get changed once per week (way less than suggested) and somehow (miraculously) they don't smell [/QUOTE]

What litter do you use? We have an air deoderizer near the litterboxes & still get some oder
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I'll PM the brand to you so as not to advertise. It's not the scoopable kind...

We have lids on our litter boxes too. I clean the lids too (not often enough, poor kitties).

Not to be too graphic, but which smell is it you're smelling? Is it the urine or the poop? If you're getting a really strong ammonia smell, it might signal that the cats aren't getting enough water, or one of them might have some underlying problem (diabetes, kidney disease).

If it's the poop smell, that might just be diet related.
Old June 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
future crazy cat lady

"Princess", after getting back from an "overnight" at the vet let me know she was unhappy with me - she left me a "gift" outside of the litter box and wouldn't let me touch her for a while

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM
future crazy cat lady

I was cleaning the litterboxes - had one emptied (hadn't refilled it yet), took the cat throw/pee rug upstairs to wash, and when I came back Ghost was peeing in the EMPTY litterbox - stupid cat

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:13 AM

Blue Skies will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post

I was cleaning the litterboxes - had one emptied (hadn't refilled it yet), took the cat throw/pee rug upstairs to wash, and when I came back Ghost was peeing in the EMPTY litterbox - stupid cat
Could have been worse, he (she?) could have peed outside the litterbox!
Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
future crazy cat lady

we have two "pee rugs"

that way the cat that gets POed () can use one while the other is in the wash