Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Science Experiments in the Bedroom

sigh....

DSD has been growing mold cultures in her bedroom [she's had a half drank glass of juice sitting on her desk for days ]

What type(s) of experiments are your kids growing?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Science Experiments in the Bedroom

DD is trying to clone a cat. She's got cat fur in tumbleweeds in her room. Several years ago, DD asked to have hardwood floor put in her bedroom (instead of carpet) for her birthday. She's something of a germaphobe. It has worked out great, except that the cat fur tends to congregate in corners.

DS is working on Smell-O-Vision. His room is a whole cornucopia of aromatic experience when you walk in.

I set the rule "No food except in the kitchen or dining room" when my kids were little (It was the rule in my house growing up). DS never brings food anywhere, and DD brings it but she's so OCD that she doesn't make a mess. And there's never any half-eaten anything to go bad anyway with her... just empty wrappers. Now if I could get DH to follow the rule...
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:30 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

My younger son has all kinds of collections in his room. I'm scared to even look. There's the abandoned bird's nests he's had for years. At least those are in tupperware. He has his rocks, his shells, his junk toys from parties, then his candy wrapper collection, his empty odd soda can collection, his broken pens/pencils collection...

Thank goodness he's a biologist and not a chemist.
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Becca is on a distinguished road

Those are so funny
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like some input - I'm tired of DSD leaving dishes, silverware, etc. in her room. She "cleaned" her room last night & after I vaccumed my DH's bedroom this morning (used carpet fresh stuff), I did her room too (IMO it smells in her room - but she keeps the door shut all the time). Anyway, I discovered several pieces of silverware (on the floor & her desk), a dirty sealed tupperware bowl that stuff has liquified in ( I sure as ___ don't want to open it), and trash (empty can, empty chip bag, etc).

DH doesn't really want to deal with being a parent - he's told me that he has to deal with carp with students all day & he doesn't want to have to deal with it at home. (If you don't know know my BG story - simply put he doesn't want me to parent her, but he doesn't either)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
future crazy cat lady

I've written DSD that I plan on leaving with the dirty dishes & trash on her chair in her room.

DSD - I thought you were capable of being more responsible than this. The dirty dishes, silverware, and glasses need to be returned to the kitchen as soon as you are finished with them - trash should be thrown away.

If you are incapable of being responsible, then don't take dishes, etc. to your room.

Me

If she continues to do carp - I've two different ideas about consequences -

1) I start cleaning her room to MY standards (not perfect)
2) I cut her cell phone off until she gets all the dirty dishes & trash out of her room (but it doesn't have to be cleaned to my standards)

What do ya'll think?
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I think DSD will continue to do carp because she never really has consequences. Sigh.

IMO the bigger issue is that she lied to you, saying she did something that she didn't do. That's what I'd go after, not the specifics of her leaving silverware in her room. The lie is worse than the crime, IMO. Had she 'fessed up that she hadn't done it, well, you'd furrow your brow and cross your arms and say "DSD, how many times do I have to ask you..." Instead, now you're not only angry at the mess but angry about the lie. I'd confront her about that, saying that the little lies are what makes people lose trust in others, hint hint.

I'd tell her that next time you discover that her room isn't up to your standards, you'll clean it for her which incidentally gives you the right to snoop. No teenager wants to lose that privacy.

ETA: Maybe a good way to get your point across about the dirty dishes is to strategically plant a few dead cockroaches.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM

Lizzie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
sigh....

DSD has been growing mold cultures in her bedroom [she's had a half drank glass of juice sitting on her desk for days ]

What type(s) of experiments are your kids growing?
My sons are obviously doing the same experiments,

I would go in when it got too much for me to bear and clean them, remove the dishes,
juice and mild cartons, wrappers, ruibbish of every discription. NOW I HAVE STOPPED
As long as I do it they are not even nearing maturity. I now close the doors...it kills me but
I do.

Its a real killer.

DH was never behind me enough on this one..you need to be singing from the same sheet!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM

Brownie is on a distinguished road

snafu....I don't have any good suggestions for you...As KayKay said "I think DSD will continue to do carp because she never really has consequences."

I do know how frustrated you must be! DH and his ex-wife didn't parent DSD2. Life was very miserable at our house when she was 14-16 so I think I know what you are going through and feeling.

hugs.
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM
future crazy cat lady

UPDATE - DSD busted

I called DH after school got out because I wanted to talk to him BEFORE he gave permission for DSD to do anything (ie spend the night at friends, go shopping, etc).

I'll keep this real short - I told him what I'd found & where (in general), but told him ..."We need to talk"...once he got home (I wanted to give details & work out a plan).

She came home to drop off her stuff before volleyball practice & I made her clean the carp up.

OMG - he went and talked to (?chewed out?) DSD while she was at volleyball practice (I don't think he did it in front of the team though). Anyway, I don't know what she said to him...

The consequences from me was that I would clean her room - I started BEFORE DSD got home from practice. I found a stash of empty soda cans & a one of a kind glass (that I'd told DH she'd hidded somewhere) in her closet. {DH was when I told him about the hidden stash, he had another "talk" with her as she couldn't claim she accidently missed it}-She was mortified that'd I'd clean her room - she offered to clean & then I could check it. I told her she'd lost that option - we ended up cleaning her room together. I'm going to continue checking her room to make sure she doesn't relapse.

The consequences from her dad are she is no longer allowed to take food, etc. into her room & her bedroom door has to stay open unless she's changing (aka - the teen has lost some privacy).