Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old October 24th, 2009, 09:37 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Science Experiments in the Bedroom

WTG snafu and snafu's DH! You know what? I think it's great that the two of you were on the same page. You seemed to get through to her.
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Update - DH isn't allowing anything in her room, but....she's been shuting her door all but 1/4 to 1/2 inch & been breaking the rules again. (Guess who finds the stuff - yep, me)

(a week or less ago) Nasty smelly mug = DH made her wash it out (he WAS going to do it & I told him she should be the one to clean it up)

very next day, dirty plate & fork & other stuff = ???? DH didn't tell me, but nor did I ask

today - DSD isn't feeling well, has finals, & I was doing laundry anyway so I got the dirty stuff the kids have left in their rooms - I thought I'd be nice & do it- everyone's entitled to sick days .... there was a spoon in plain sight apparently DH's consequences don't inpact her (I've also checked ALL the silverware & I'm missing a fork - can't find it anywhere, but I've not "tossed" her room yet. I'm waiting 'till I talk with DH.
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

oh yea - I forgot to ask - what seems reasonable as a consequence for contiunally disreguadring the rules?

Leaving the stuff isn't an option as it grosses me out too much. Much less, if it draws bugs ....
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
oh yea - I forgot to ask - what seems reasonable as a consequence for contiunally disreguadring the rules?
A solution might be to invest in paper plates/plastic utensils. Have her pay for them (and be sure to make her make it up to the planet somehow) and keep a kitchen trash can (covered) in her bedroom that she is responsible for emptying (and your DH is responsible for checking).

A consequence... well, I'm not so good with those. I say dock her allowance for "maid service" and totally take away all privacy (by you going in to clean her room). Don't allow her to go out until after she has passed the white glove test? Embarrass her in front of her high school friends (i.e. fake seeing maggots when they're all in her room)? Buy a mouse at a pet store and put it in her room? (But don't do that one... you've got cats) Maybe just get some mouse droppings somewhere?

I dunno... I need to learn how to enforce consequences too.
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:59 AM
future crazy cat lady

LAST time DH grounded DSD (for one night)- who wanted to go out with friends.

THIS time, she alreay had plans with friends & he doesn't want to ground her for one night; instead he's going to clean her room with her- THEN she still gets to go out with her friends. I've told him places she's hidden stuff before; one of which is locked now.

My suggestion had been that she's grounded tonight (& I didn't know that she'd had plans) AND that she and I clean her room.

I've told him WE need to have consequences that she DOESN'T like - otherwise her behavior won't change.
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
future crazy cat lady

KayKay - I LOVED the idea of a solution - the simplist would have been she put stuff in the dishwasher when she was done. This would have been the most mature and responsible solution.

Hell... she's been sneaky about stuff before - the sneaky teen solution would be to break the rule (no longer allowed food in her room), BUT still be responbile enough to put the dishes in the dishwasher - so that we "wouldn't know" she was breaking the rules.

My solution, for me, is that I've removed my stuff from the kitchen. If we have limited glasses, etc. it will be more noticeable when we're short items.

Last edited by snafu; December 18th, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:15 PM
future crazy cat lady

DSD will be cleaning her room tonight - she's got orange rinds/peels in a cardboard box
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:46 PM
future crazy cat lady

DSD didn't fuss about having to clean her room - but I listed some stuff I'd seen & how many days I KNEW it'd sat there (I told BOTH kids during supper that they needed to clean thier rooms & why)

(we all - DH, DSD, & I knew some of it had been there longer - I don't know that they knew - I'd overheard DH days prior telling DSD to get some of the stuff out of her room - but DH had done his typical -tell DSD to do something, but not follow thru...)

DS had to clean his room too...he's starting to do some of the same stuff that he knows DSD does I'm not having it

Last edited by snafu; March 14th, 2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo/editing
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Lizzie will become famous soon enough

Yes dont let this happen Snafu......

Its your home and the kids should have more respect for it.....says me having
failed miserably to get the lads to clean the rooms...it takes perseverance and
a united front from you and DH otherwise you will end up with older children in
your home doing exactly as they please......most annoying.
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:25 PM
future crazy cat lady

DSD is collecting dirty dishes in her room again . They've been there since at least Monday & today is Thurs. I'll give her/DH a few more days then I'll do the same thing as I did last time - bring it up at the supper table about how long they've been there & that she needs to take care of it.

I'll probally tell her that she may get bugs if she's not careful (snicker - I KNOW she's had bugs before - or at least that's what she posted on her twitter account)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )