Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old May 4th, 2010, 02:01 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Science Experiments in the Bedroom

DH had her clean her room this weekend

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:40 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
DS ...he's starting to do some of the same stuff that he knows DSD does I'm not having it

DH not likeing me saying jack about DSD's room & him not doing jack about it is now biting ME in the azz.

It's getting real old that DS will complain "____(DSD) does/doesn't have to do ___." Thing is, HE'S RIGHT - and I agree with him - DSD SHOULD have to do _______. Right now her room looks like she's from a family that lives in extreem poverty (no bedsheets on the mattress, etc), there's trash & dirty dishes once again.

I sick of the @#$*^& double standard - how the HELL am I supposed to get DS to understand there's one set of rules for DSD & a different set for him (AND that DSD gets to do stuff that is unacceptable to me AND - as far as I know- her dad)

THANK GOD I laid down the law about her boyfriend isn't allowed in her bedroom.

Old October 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
DH not likeing me saying jack about DSD's room & him not doing jack about it is now biting ME in the azz.

It's getting real old that DS will complain "____(DSD) does/doesn't have to do ___." Thing is, HE'S RIGHT - and I agree with him - DSD SHOULD have to do _______. Right now her room looks like she's from a family that lives in extreem poverty (no bedsheets on the mattress, etc), there's trash & dirty dishes once again.

I sick of the @#$*^& double standard - how the HELL am I supposed to get DS to understand there's one set of rules for DSD & a different set for him (AND that DSD gets to do stuff that is unacceptable to me AND - as far as I know- her dad)

THANK GOD I laid down the law about her boyfriend isn't allowed in her bedroom.
I think it's time to at least get real with your DS. The fact is that there are 2 sets of rules. Children and adults will encounter this all their lives. The first thing we should do is address the cause, but in this case, you cannot because your DH will not parent his DD. So, the next step is to address the results.

I would tell DS that DSD has her own parent and he'll address things with her-- it's their problem. Regardless of what they do, DS still must do the right thing and you must still be a good parent. It might not be fair, but that is the way the world operates sometimes. Then hug him and tell him that you love him and are proud of him because being 2 families in one house is extremely difficult for the children.
Old October 16th, 2010, 07:55 PM
future crazy cat lady

Lucy - thank you, I think I'll use that. I'm just worry that I'll become public enemy number one to my DS - because things aren't "fair"

I'll be honest - I DON'T have a problem with her clothes (for the most part), shoes, etc. scattered about the room/covering the floor. You can still see part of the floor; some teens are kind of like toddlers, they have to have thier stuff where they can see it {once-ok, several times, when DS was little I'd get his room picked up & within 5-10 min. he'd scattered ALL his toys all over the floor again}.

What really bothers me about her room{I know - I gotta' drop the rope} is the food/snack junk, dirty glasses/thermises (sp), and the bare matteress (I don't why this one gets me, except it seems trashy).

DS sees this, the times she's got her bedroom door open, and feels that he should be able to do the same thing - if HE wants.

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:40 AM
future crazy cat lady

DS is now leaving dirty dishes downstairs - so... I put the dirty/gross dishes in his bed - and made sure nothing would spill & shut the door so the animals couldn't get in (this may have been over the top- but I wanted to "nip it in the bud")

Hopefully this is the end of it.

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I hope so too. I'm like you - I can tolerate clutter but food mess grosses me out.
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM
future crazy cat lady

I've implimented a policy that DS has to clean in his room for 5-10 min every night. I check to see that he's followed thru.

If I find another glass downstairs I'm going to add 10-15 minutes nightly downstairs.

Old May 27th, 2012, 09:22 AM
future crazy cat lady

I started this thread in 2009, we are now in 2012 (arrrrgh!!!)

Now BOTH kids are leaving carp in thier rooms (I'm using the term kid loosely as DSD is home from college ).

I found an unwanted visitor in the kids' bathroom the other day () and have put traps in both kids' rooms and their bathroom.
Old May 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them about the unwanted visitor in their bedrooms and what diseases they carry. That should help!

Also, have you considered putting your dishes and cups away for when they are mature enough to use them? Instead, use paper plates, cups, etc. It's easier then to just throw them away. I know it's not green, but it might help them to grow up a little.
Old May 27th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Lizzie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I started this thread in 2009, we are now in 2012 (arrrrgh!!!)

Now BOTH kids are leaving carp in thier rooms (I'm using the term kid loosely as DSD is home from college ).

I found an unwanted visitor in the kids' bathroom the other day () and have put traps in both kids' rooms and their bathroom.

Woohoo Snafu!!

Its Sunday evening here and I have looked into all the rooms which is a dismal
weekly occurrence.
I was just thinking that I MIGHT plant a furry in the rooms to add spice to the already
colourful array of wrappers from sweets.etc...cups, plates Goddamn it EVERYTHING>

Over the years this has been my pet moan..I never could get DH to support me in a proper manner about this..rather he would shout a bit and bang into the rooms and then it would all return to the same disorder in hours...... I would look the baddie.

I dont want to say too much this time as my son who was in Chicago last year, Snafu, is heading for Silicon Valley soon and i know I will look sadly at the little room and wish he
was back in it....thats sad!