Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old July 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Question ants

sigh - we now have ants, just those tiny cute ones though (no huge tree ants, and thankfully no fireants)

Whats a pet safe way for getting rid of ants (and "green" too)

I've used bayleaves under the doorsill at a former home - but I don't think these are coming in under the door (they're by the deck door in the kitchen - we have a walk out lower level underneath the deck)

DH said that he's heard lemon juice works.

Anyone have suggestions?

(I do have borax - does that work?)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:00 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ants

I don't think boric acid is safe for animals. I used clove to deter them when I had a dog. It works like cinnamon. I've also heard of mixing some powdered sugar with baking soda or sprinkling cornmeal. Both make the ants blow up.

You might be better treating them outside so they don't come in.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:32 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

How do you use clove? Powdered form or whole? I do have cornmeal & backing soda....hummmm. Maybe I could grind up cloves & bayleaves, then mix them with cornmeal.

we don't know where they are coming in - if they are in the wood deck and are coming under the door, coming thru the walls, or what.

And if its the deck (which is probably 10' above the ground) where do you treat it? Do you treat the entire thing or just the supports?

The dog's gonna love this

(I hope I don't sound like I'm whining)

Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:00 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I had whole clove, so I just put a few pieces where I saw the ants crawling.

You don't want to mix the clove or cinnamon with a bait because the spices drive the ants away. Ideally you want the ants to take the bait back to the nest to destroy it.

The best way to find out where they are coming in is to follow them. Put out a little bit of sugar (or whatever it seems they're after) and then watch where they go. Your solution to keeping them out may be as simple as caulk.

And if you find them outside, under the deck, in a spot that's not really accessible to the dog, you may also find a little bit of the sprinkled poison goes a long way!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
future crazy cat lady

I just found this list (I googled/yahooed "green soultion to ants")

-Try a natural repellent such as ground or powdered chili, or used coffee grounds. Citrus peel (ground) works well, too. They hate the smell of vinegar; make a solution with water to spray around.

-For a more permanent solution, find the ant mound, and destroy it using boiling water (to collapse tunnels) mixed with a teaspoon of salt (to confuse their sense of direction).

-Feed them corn meal. They eat it. They take it back to their nest and feast on it. They can't digest it and it kills them. Also, corn meal won't harm children or pets.

-Wheat flour and dried rice (any kind) also work. Like corn meal, it expands in their stomach and explodes them, resulting in a death slightly less nasty than being boiled alive.

-They also hate cinnamon but will eventually get used to it.

You can destroy their nests by taking a stake and stabbing it down into their nest. Wiggle it around until you have a fair sized crater. Fill the crater with baking soda about half way up and pour vinegar over it. (this sound like something fun for kids to do)It is all-natural and will totally destroy the nest. Don't worry about it leaving a crater in the ground, it mostly fills itself in and if it doesn't just kick some dirt over it, plant some grass over it, and you will never be able to tell the difference.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:22 AM
future crazy cat lady

I now look like a bad house keeper.

I put a few teeny, tiny "mounds" of corn meal in a few places on the kitchen floor. I also walked around the outside of the house & scattered some around the foundation of the house. (Thus begins the stories of the crazy lady-now I need to get some more cats).

Then I hit the "jackpot" - I think I've found the ant hill. Our front door is recessed (picture a "U" & our door is at the bottom of the "U"). Ants have apparently built their "hill" under our house & have come up between the south wall and the (outdoor) entryway floor. They got a big gift of free food - bye bye ants

Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:35 AM

Yay! Snafu is going to win this battle!
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

update?
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
future crazy cat lady

current score

Ants = 1
Snafu = 0

they used the cornmeal as building material
(maybe itty, bitty ants don't eat cornmeal)

Old July 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

If you know where the mound is mix yourself a 10% bleach 90% water solution in a bucket. Pour the bleach ater around and on top of the hole slowly so it soaks into the ground. That will kill all the ants the solution comes in contact with. Animals won't drink it and it won't kill your grass. It will wilt (no kill) certain flowering bushes. The odor will dissipate within an hour. It's cheap and it works.