Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old July 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ants

the ants are smart - they built under the house (I'll have to get a pict - 1 picture = 1,000 words. If I used 1,000 words I still wouldn't be clear )

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:08 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
the ants are smart - they built under the house (I'll have to get a pict - 1 picture = 1,000 words. If I used 1,000 words I still wouldn't be clear )
Okay, there's stuff you can get at your local home store that you sprinkle on the ground by their nest. It's a bait that the ants will take back to their nest and it will kill them off. It can be toxic to animals but it will be gone in a day. We've used it outside.
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Okay, there's stuff you can get at your local home store that you sprinkle on the ground by their nest. It's a bait that the ants will take back to their nest and it will kill them off. It can be toxic to animals but it will be gone in a day. We've used it outside.

- sparrows like to eat bugs in the area

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM
future crazy cat lady

Quote:

current score

Ants = 1
Snafu = 0

they used the cornmeal as building material
(maybe itty, bitty ants don't eat cornmeal)
Time for round two, 'cause they're back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
If you know where the mound is mix yourself a 10% bleach 90% water solution in a bucket. Pour the bleach ater around and on top of the hole slowly so it soaks into the ground. That will kill all the ants the solution comes in contact with. Animals won't drink it and it won't kill your grass. It will wilt (no kill) certain flowering bushes. The odor will dissipate within an hour. It's cheap and it works.
How can I inject this under concrete? Do you think I could get a siringe, fill it with the solution, then squirt it in the crack?
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:36 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

How can I inject this under concrete? Do you think I could get a siringe, fill it with the solution, then squirt it in the crack?
At this point, I would say to get a professional exterminator.
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:16 PM
future crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
At this point, I would say to get a professional exterminator.
sigh - this is what DH wants too. I just worry about the chemicals by the front door (blech)
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:06 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

How have you got on with this Snafu?

The day before you posted this, i started waging a war with our ants. Still going all this time. I'm feeding them borax stuff once or twice a day, and still they keep coming!

-At least the ant killer is cheap. And it works, there are HEAPS of dead ants. 10's of thousands! (It is completely disgusting, but they aren't in the kitchen thank Goodness.)
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM
future crazy cat lady

.... that's just one more thing I need to do today - I've been losing the battle too - but what I think is happening is as soon as a hill is killed off, more ants move in quickly (within a few weeks) as all this prime realestate is just sittng there vacant (its mine!!!)

Last edited by snafu; July 26th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM
future crazy cat lady

I was kind of right

-exterminator place said that what they've been seeing, since we had a mild winter, was that ant populations weren't killed off by the cold & that they were moving into the walls of houses due to crowding

(we've got ants in some places that aren't near the ground )

Bug man is coming tomorrow
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:17 PM

Smmr1321 is on a distinguished road

Try spreading oatmeal around all the cracks in the sidewalk outside where ants can get into your house. Ants bodies are made up mostly of water, and feeding them oatmeal expands their bodies. They take the oatmeal back to their nest and die. We tried this method and a few days later there were no more ants.