Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old August 13th, 2012, 07:13 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ants

we've discovered we live on top of the ant version of Hong Kong, New York, and any other huge city you'd care to name - all combined - soon as you wipe out one "small" area ants from other/overcrowed areas move in within a week or two.

(and they may be in our walls )
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

My ant breeding program is still going strong, too. Even the cat was complaining to me me last night, they get in her water bowl.
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:26 AM

angel21 is on a distinguished road

For what I use before and it works, coffee grounds
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:01 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I've used coffee grounds too (and leftover pots of coffee! ) The only problem with coffee is that it doesn't kill the ants - it just makes them move elsewhere.
Old August 17th, 2012, 01:16 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

We can't tell where they are coming from. Our house is on a concrete base, and there is a concrete path all around the house. Fortunately, they are in the wash-house (laundry), not the kitchen, so i'm sort of satisfied to keep feeding them the poison in there. Only sort of satisfied, though.
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:54 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs. X, I think there's something about the concrete that draws the ants and encourages them to nest there. The only room where I get ants is on a concrete slab.
Old March 26th, 2017, 01:42 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Have I got an ant story for you!

I have this lovely hibiscus I bought for $1. I have had it for 5 years. I give it a good spray, a little insecticidal soap, and bring it in the house to overwinter.

Last week, I watered it, and it was fine.

Friday, I saw ants coming in from outside, along the concrete slaw, and climbing a wall inside my house. I put out some bait and waited.

Today, when I went to water the plants, I noticed the line of ants was smaller. I poured a pitcher of water into my hibiscus, and the ants swarmed! Millions of them. I swear they made a noise! They were carrying eggs.

I grabbed a plastic bag and carried my hibiscus outside, away from the house.

It's going to die. I hope the ants go with it!
Old March 26th, 2017, 01:45 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh. Do you think they were living in your house all winter?!?
Old March 26th, 2017, 02:38 PM

I think they may have been.