Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:01 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Invitation Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
This is one of those cases where you say "Gosh, I'm so sorry, but I just can't accomodate you! We have limited space and a full invite list!"
That's the plan.

We must all be hitting middle age. For some reason, all the cousins think their kids should experience a Christmas Eve like we grew up with.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:09 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful idea! I know you'll be glad to share recipes with them.
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:31 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy - maybe they'll see this - think they'd get it?

DEAR ABBY: I have set the guest list for my Fourth of July party. A few people I entertained last year will not be invited back this summer. Perhaps they'll recognize themselves when they read the following list:

(1) You arrived empty-handed.

(2) You arrived early and stayed late.

(3) You never reciprocated. It's OK if you don't entertain in your home, but how about a restaurant, bar or cafe?

(4) You complained about what I served.

(5) You solicited free advice from other guests who are legal or medical professionals. No guest in my home should have to work. (If you need a doctor or a lawyer, call their office during the week to make an appointment!)

(6) You raided our liquor cabinet without permission.

(7) You complained about how bad the traffic was getting here.

Abby, thanks for the forum. -- SAN FRANCISCO HOSTESS

DEAR HOSTESS: Hmmm. So you have been entertaining a collection of complaining moochers. I don't blame you for paring down your guest list. I'm sure it will make your Fourth of July parties more enjoyable and less stressful in the future.
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:31 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent!
Old December 29th, 2013, 10:55 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
I just don't understand why people think they can invite themselves and others to your home or party or Wedding Reception! I just don't get it. That's crazy, Anns! KayKay, I don't really understand the sibling thing, either. I'm glad the parents understand.

This is a house party, in fact, Christmas Eve. I know it's early, but I didn't bring it up. An Aunt and Uncle that came uninvited for the graduation party brought it up. I was polite to them as the hostess and didn't raise a ruckus. We had seating and food and I didn't want to create a scene.

So they invited themselves, their adult children and wives, and their grandchildren for Christmas Eve. We're talking an additional 8 people--who make pigs of themselves and eat like there's no tomorrow so I have to plan for 16 or more servings-- for a 7 Fish Dinner. I can't fit them in the house. I don't have furniture that would fit 2 of them (morbidly obese), and I don't have any place to entertain their badly behaved children (both have been expelled from daycare). I didn't say anything. There were too many witnesses and Auntie does love to cry for the cameras.

bumping for Lucy

it seems that inviting others is an issue with your extened family - is the family above you're cousin's parents?
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:46 AM

I forgot about this thread! Lol

We changed from an open house to an invitation only format because of this!
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
bumping for Lucy

it seems that inviting others is an issue with your extened family - is the family above you're cousin's parents?
I forgot to answer the question-- same family but different people doing the inviting.

I actually announced last year that I was not hosting dinner as if it were open house anymore. I made it clear that I was not adhering to their perceived traditions, all future events would be invitation only who were present, and those present made it clear to those who were not!

So it's not me, but them.
Old November 15th, 2014, 09:07 AM
future crazy cat lady

I've recently come to a decision that I no longer want to do the New Years Eve thing as there's been more brouhaha than I want to deal with.

I'd rather enjoy myself than stress about who wants to invite themselves/others to a get together at my home. (and then get put out when I don't go along with it)

FWIW - I think I enjoyed it more the times the kids had friends stay overnight for New Years.

I'm going to tell DS that he can invited friends over for New Years - after I check with DH.
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:49 PM

I think that's a good plan! I hope your DH is okay with it.
Old November 16th, 2014, 12:32 PM
future crazy cat lady

I got to thinking .... I think I stress out/get anxious anytime there are large numbers of people over ... I don't know why

I don't have problems at other people's homes, just mine