Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old November 16th, 2014, 05:29 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Invitation Etiquette

If you're an introvert, you may have trouble with people coming into your territory. It feels intrusive.
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:24 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is old -

Anyone having issues with volunteer guests (as opposed to invited) this year?

Having DS do his own New Year's thing in our home has worked well for us.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:59 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should ask... I just had a call on Friday from a relative inviting themselves to dinner. I just told them that I cannot accommodate them but I hope they have a lovely holiday.
Old November 13th, 2016, 07:52 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

.... I'm nosy - care to share details?

(?Who does that anyway, invites themselves to someone else's holiday?)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old November 14th, 2016, 06:49 AM

I was at a funeral and they asked to come, and then tried to manipulate me into saying that I would host them. I basically said, "I don't do that type of dinner anymore. I hope your family enjoys the holiday" and I moved on.

I heard that they tried to confirm if I were lying or not (technically, I am not), but my favorite uncle told me "Who cares? What will change in your life if they get mad?" Nothing. Nothing will change. So, no means no.
Old November 14th, 2016, 11:23 AM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

In a way we have a simple life when it comes to family and relatives.I dont have any family, or any I have anything to do with.My husbands family are all over in his country quite a long way away. I told him will host someone from his family for a short holiday,but thats it I cant cope with any more than that.We also keep to ourselves, Ive ditched many friends that were expired anyway and I have a couple I really like and thats quite enough anyway and we all have busy lives and get together every few months. Hubby plays in bands and sees his friends at those venues, but we mostly keep to ourselves and like our privacy. I use to do dinner parties with friends until trouble started so I stopped them,and I also found that people didnt put much effort in either and were happy to eat my food at my home,but turned up with nothing much and never bothered to reciprocate.But thats ok less work now lol.....

Those days of dinner parties are over. I just wanted to share a couple of stories... I remember one couple who I met through my husband,the guy is from my husbands country and the wife is a kiwi. They are lovely people and we have known them for years, BUT....I noticed that I put a lot of effort into having them over,making a lovely bbq with meats and salads and garlic bread as well as dessert and drinks etc, I do it because I like to do things properly too.....she would bring a tiny wee dessert that her husband mostly ate all of,and her husband would eat about 3 plates of food and dessert as he likes his food,thats all good, I dont begrudge people food but...but when we went to their place the wife took me to go and buy pizza and chips which was fine but she told me to pay our half,asked me what pizzas we wanted and told me how much my half was and I had to also eftpos $2 also for my half of the packet of hot chips at another shop....shes a real penny pincher.....never mind her husband ate enough for about four people by himself at my house, but she had forgotten that??....sure I wanted to contribute but I think we provided way more at our home than they did, the whole meal cost about $40,and they could have supplied the pizza and I would have made a lovely big dessert,but I think she deliberately took me to the shop to make sure we paid our share lol......the irony is they have way more money than we do,live on the flash side of town, no kids at home now and for years and both have really good jobs earning way more than us.....I said I can sit at home and buy our own pizza and chips and I can save on gas lol....cant be bothered going there again......some people are funny arent they?.....the other couple were the moocher ones I posted about last year,they ones into the crystal healing who would turn up to our place expecting coffee all the time.....when we first met them we invited them about three times in 6 years for a bbq with all the trimmings,and they would turn up with a few lettuce leaves thrown in a bowl if they were lucky and eat all our food and drink and leave,we were never invited to their house for anything ever and if we called in we got one cup of coffee each not even one biscuit,yet they pulled out their fags and smoked them in front to of us (we dont smoke) all the while saying they had no money......I went to her 50th birthday party which she said she was making,but her family ended up bring all the food and she did nothing,and her husband,never spoke to me the whole time I was there going past me with an angry look on his face,letting me know he didnt want me there.....hes a right jerk......thank goodness we have nothing to do with those moochers any more and I never saw them again after they tried to refriend us on facebook a while back....some people try it on as adults even, maybe we just friends that took what they could get without contributing much??.....people sometimes ask when are you doing another party and I say never lol.

Last edited by Catwoman; November 14th, 2016 at 12:00 PM.