Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
teen driving trend

I heard on the radio that there has been a trend for teens to delay driving as they

- would rather text
- don't want to deal with the restrictions
- are delaying responsibility (hmmm... maybe something to do with helicopter parents)

DS wants to drive now... he's even been asking about driving go carts

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:09 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: teen driving trend

I really believe it. DS just got his license a few weeks ago, just after he turned 17. He wasn't at all interested - I pretty much had to force him to start driver's ed (we did parent-taught). Toward the end of the course he was more interested in just getting it over with. Now he drives himself anywhere he wants to go.

He is not the last kid in his grade to get his license, either. He is second-to-youngest in his grade (a girl has a birthday three days after his) and even has kids who are more than a year older than him in his grade. Many of them were 17 when they got their licenses.

DD's grade, OTOH, seem to be chomping at the bit. DD hopes to get her license on her 16th birthday.
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:15 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine on my 16th b-day & I just don't get the delay thing (one lady called in to the radio program about a 21 yr old guy who's parents were still driving him as he couldn't/wouldn't drive )
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there are some kids whose parents OUGHT to still be driving them!
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:05 AM

davecotefilm is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: teen driving trend

In the hopes of saving lives, yada yada yada.

Dave Cote
B.Sc.;B.A.Sc.

Last edited by LucyVanPelt; November 1st, 2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: remove links and ads
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:50 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, Dave. We do not allow advertising or links on the forum, especially those that advocate for a cause no matter how worthy it may be. Please read the forum rules here: http://www.friendsandfamilyforum.com...aq_forum_rules
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM

DD is taking her driving test tomorrow. Gulp. Everyone wish us luck, especially with parallel parking!! She turned 16 over two months ago, but her schedule is just flat-out too busy. This really is about the soonest we could schedule it.

I'm actually going to miss driving her around. It was about the only time I had her captive where I could get her to talk to me. DS has been driving her and they talk more now too. Ah well.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you both luck!
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:11 PM
future crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
DD is taking her driving test tomorrow. Gulp. Everyone wish us luck, especially with parallel parking!! She turned 16 over two months ago, but her schedule is just flat-out too busy. This really is about the soonest we could schedule it.

how did I miss this? Good Luck to your DD (give her horse a hug for me)
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to your DD. Mine goes for her full driver's licence tomorrow. Also worried about parallel parking!