Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old July 24th, 2013, 08:25 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
"shocking" kids

Have you ever "shocked" or "amazed" your kids by knowing something?

while on vacation DS & his BFF were talking about the Monthy Python movies

DS's BFF started singing "Look on the Bright Side of Life" ... and I started whisteling along. Cue two boys = & BFF saying something like ... you can't know that ( snafu keeps whisteling) then the BFF says how do you know that

I told them that the movie was older than they are, it was even old by my standards ... and btw I was had watched the movies when married to ex

They then thought it was cool that I'd seen the movies & wanted to discuss them with me
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:00 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "shocking" kids

We went out last night for dinner and walked by a local movie theater and I told DD that the theater was featured in a movie a long time ago.

DD said, "Wow it looks really old! Was the movie from the 1990's?"

Uh, no, the 1950's.
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:26 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I knew all of the lyrics to Smashmouth's "I'm a Believer" and One Direction's "One Way or Another." Of course, that's mostly because they are the same lyrics to The Monkees' "I'm a Believer" and Blondie's "One Way or Another."

This isn't knowing something, but I do have a Shock My Daughter story. Every so often I come across a picture from long ago that I like and I pull it out and put it on my bathroom mirror. A few months ago, I found a picture of DH and I that someone took at a party when we first started dating. I pulled it out and put it on my mirror. Within a week, DD was coming out of my bathroom saying "Mom, why do you have a picture of Dad with another woman on your mirror?" After an initial I said "That's ME." DD refuses to believe it. It may not be "me" now, but it was "me" 28 years ago. I have tried to convince her that those were the days before I started having my hair highlighted, got my teeth fixed, and discovered bleaching strips. Yes, DD, I used to actually wear make-up and curl my hair.
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:08 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

deleted

Last edited by snafu; July 27th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old October 5th, 2016, 08:55 PM
future crazy cat lady

snerk - Spinal Tap .... I thought a student was making reference to it - it's totally a movie he'd love - turns out he's never even heard of it, but was shocked that I was the one who brought it up/knew about it

(teacher explained briefly about it ie. volume goes to 11)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:20 PM

NagathaChristie is on a distinguished road

I shocked my nephews by kicking their butt at Halo, League of Legends, Counter Strike and many more video games. They were shocked that their Aunt played those games.