Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old June 9th, 2016, 10:33 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My dishwasher died! :(

LOL Swiss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot2loud View Post
You could ask him to install a shut-off specifically for the dishwasher line if you wanted. That way if the problem ever crops up again you will still be able to use your sink faucet. I did that at my old house. Won't do it at this house until I get a new dishwasher or have a leak.
Oooh, I think I'll have that done! I don't think my repair guy would do it because it's outside of the scope of his quick-repair side job, but I am getting my kitchen redone (one of these days) and I can ask for that as part of my new sink. That's a tremendously useful idea - thanks K2L!
Old June 9th, 2016, 10:29 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha Swiss!

And KayKay, sorry about your dishwasher. :{
Old June 9th, 2016, 10:51 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Mrs X. It's repairable though, unlike my dryer in March and my washing machine in April. Anyone want to take bets on which appliance will give up the ghost in July?
Old June 9th, 2016, 11:48 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
Thanks, Mrs X. It's repairable though, unlike my dryer in March and my washing machine in April. Anyone want to take bets on which appliance will give up the ghost in July?
gosh sounds like threespiracy??
Old June 17th, 2016, 12:54 AM

Two weeks and counting.
Old June 17th, 2016, 02:02 AM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: My dishwasher died! :(

Well it wasnt an appliance for me but while we were away on our holiday at Xmas just gone,half way through it I get a call from the house sitters that our shower had started leaking into the hallway. So we had a great ordeal getting someone to fix it (it was a burst pipe) and that cost $200,then another part broke on it in a different place 2 weeks later on the mixer so another plumber had to come out on a public holiday as the water couldnt be shut off and that cost another $500......I wish I could see what I spent $700 on lol??....and why couldnt it do it before I left??!!....no it had to wait for us to go across the world on the only holiday we have ever had for it to happen....grrrr!!!!.....on top of all that the insurance didnt pay a cent,because the only thing they would pay was damage to the house but my carpet didnt end up being damaged as it dried out and was clean water leaking so we didnt need to repair the carpet.Why do we pay insurance again??

Last edited by Catwoman; June 17th, 2016 at 02:06 AM.
Old June 17th, 2016, 01:35 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

We have been considering having a bank account for "things that break down". If that included car servicing/repairs etc, we would have to put about $100/w into it!
Old June 17th, 2016, 03:58 PM

We had a pipe leak in February/early March (about the same time the dryer went out). We had to have part of our foundation (concrete slab) jackhammered up to fix it. That was fun.

And in retrospect, we have replaced an air conditioner (HVAC) and a water heater within the last year.

Our roof is reaching it's old age too. We are expecting to have to replace that in the next couple of years. Ah, the joys of homeownership!
Old July 13th, 2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
Anyone want to take bets on which appliance will give up the ghost in July?
Air conditioner. LOL.
Old July 13th, 2016, 04:05 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Texas in Juky without air conditioning. Yikes! How long until it's repaired?