Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old July 13th, 2016, 05:12 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My dishwasher died! :(

Oh, there's no repairing it. It has to be replaced.

It is a mini split system out in DH's garage. The poor repair guy has been out four times now to repair it (since mid-June), and has been unsuccessful for one reason or another beyond his control. It was down to a control board being replaced. The last time he came, the company that makes the unit had told him to order the wrong control board (he had called the company with the diagnosis code that the unit was giving, and they got it wrong). So today he came with the proper control board, spent four hours installing it, got it working, and then within five minutes the new control board was as fried as the old one.

DH hasn't been struggling too much. He has been using his portable a/c. That has been cooling it down to an acceptable level even if it has been loud.
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:59 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Those portable ones are amazing! But they are loud and a little expensive to run.

How long until the new install?
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:58 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

We were told next week. There is a small measure of concern about whether the new unit can "plug and play" with the old system. The same company that got the control board wrong are the ones telling us it does.
Old July 14th, 2016, 05:31 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get a 2nd opinion?
Old July 14th, 2016, 08:29 PM

DH planned to, but he decided to just go ahead with the recommendation. We have a 10 year history with the company that attempted the repair, and we trust them. They aren't billing us a penny for either of the control boards that they installed or for the labor (probably 20 hours among all of the visits) because "they didn't fix it." We're actually really pleased (always have been) with the customer service. For that reason, we're pretty content to allow them to install another unit.

I wasn't clear enough in my last post, I don't think. The manufacturer of the unit is the one telling us that the new one will "plug and play" with the old system. It isn't the company we do business with locally.
Old July 15th, 2016, 05:29 AM

Oh, the manufacture says its compatible. That changes things. Having someone you trust is important. I wouldn't look to a second opinion, then, either.
Old September 5th, 2016, 04:54 PM

Did I mention that my refrigerator gave out at the end of August? Y'all...

Old September 5th, 2016, 06:33 PM

Oh, man. That's a busy summer of dying appliances!
Old September 5th, 2016, 08:25 PM

Five appliances in six months, with a leak in the foundation the month before it started.

I only have my oven, microwave and one of the two hot water heaters left to break, so eventually things will have to calm down.
Old September 6th, 2016, 08:31 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good one for y'all...

I had to replace my old garbage disposal. Okay, no problem. Se we go buy one and I install it. It works great. Wife's happy, I'm happy.

Dishwasher begins to act weird. Hit the start button and you have to wait about five minutes before it starts washing. But, it is doing what it's supposed to do. So we thought.

Fast forward about a week and a half... It's about 9pm and I'm unloading the dishwasher when I notice water in the bottom of it. Well, that water isn't supposed to be there. The dishes look clean so I finish unloading it. Why isn't it draining. I close it, hit the start, wait about five minutes and it starts the wash cycle and I hit the cancel/drain button. Nothing happens.

I tell my wife we might have to buy a new dishwasher 'cause ours is acting up and not draining. She asks me if it has anything to do with the garbage disposal I hooked up. DING, DING, DING, DING!!! Bells go off. I forgot to remove the plug on the garbage disposal where the dishwasher drain hose connects. So for a week and a half we've washed our dishes in dirty water.

Glad she was around. Heaven knows what kind of mess I would've made installing a new dishwasher.