Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old September 6th, 2016, 08:57 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My dishwasher died! :(

Ugh! How's your stomach? hehe
Old October 21st, 2016, 12:53 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Next up - hail damage on the roof.

Homeownership is such a joy.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:51 AM

PeeWeeMomOf3 will become famous soon enough

Ugh. Sorry to hear it.
Old October 24th, 2016, 07:05 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Bummer... Get different bids. A lot of places will have your roof replaced in one day. Everyone has hail damage.
Old October 24th, 2016, 08:59 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Hail damage? That stinks! Is it covered by Home Owners Insurance?
Old October 24th, 2016, 09:48 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks K2L. That's how we discovered the hail damage - I wasn't even aware that we had it but I did notice all of the granules from the shingles in our gutters. I had someone here to give me a bid to replace the roof (thinking it was just old and needed to be replaced) and he was the one who said "Lady, you've got hail damage." So far I have had two companies come out.

Lucy, we hope the insurance covers it. The insurance adjuster came out this morning. He confirmed the hail damage, and he looked at the roofs on DH's free-standing garage and a little pool house we have (I never even THOUGHT about those since they are only about 7 years old) and said they have hail damage too. He is going to recommend to the insurance company that they replace all three roofs, the window screens and the gutters.

I've been living blissfully unaware of all of this hail damage for two years. I am so grateful that we didn't discover the hail damage via a leak!
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:20 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

After they're replaced you'll most likely find nails in your yard 😕

Know anyone with kids and a metal detector?

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:51 PM

Oh gosh, no, but I'm glad you warned me!! I walk around barefoot a lot.
Old October 28th, 2016, 06:01 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

They'll run a roller magnet over it after they're done... They should anyway. Even so, some will be missed. At my old house I was finding a stray nail every now and then after I had my roof redone.
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:18 PM

We got the insurance settlement and signed the contract for the roof today. We are only going to be out the cost of the deductible, and we're getting a better roof than we started with (thanks to changed building codes and better technology). I feel very grateful!

And - thank you snafu - I asked about how they got the nails up. They will put down tarps covering most of our yard. They will also go over it with a magnet roller and lastly, the crew chief will walk around with me to visually inspect for nails.

Now all we have to do is wait for warm weather. They have a 2.5 week backlog of jobs, and the weather has to be above 70 degrees for 2 days for them to put the roof on. Fingers crossed!