Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Recipes

Recipes Post and rate your favorite Recipes

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:24 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cooking faux pas

I think your sister owes you a chameleon!
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:47 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

'nother one from my ex (football, his friends and pizza = )

another time his friends came over to watch the game, he made sure to set the timer .... but forgot to put the pizza in the oven
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:49 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

one on me

my family loves corncake ... I really messed up once, instead of adding 1/4 cup water (aka 2 oz) I added 4 oz. water
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

I've read all these, really funny, thanks for sharing, but one thing? but Snafu, What is corncake?
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM
future crazy cat lady

(corncake - picture moist, scoopable, really yummy cornbread flavored stuff - I got the recipe from the web site "recipe copycats" .... my family loved Cassa's corncake now I make it)

I remembered another faux pas of mine

I once tried to make chicken tetrazzini .... in the crockpot ... I learned a lesson .... never, ever put noodles in the crockpot all day, you get a glue/paste like substance

Needless to say DS and I ate out that night.

Last edited by snafu; July 1st, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:36 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
(corncake - picture moist, scoopable, really yummy cornbread flavored stuff - I got the recipe from the web site "recipe copycats" .... my family loved Cassa's corncake now I make it)

I remembered another faux pas of mine

I once tried to make chicken tetrazzini .... in the crockpot ... I learned a lesson .... never, ever put noodles in the crockpot all day, you get a glue/paste like substance

Needless to say DS and I ate out that night.
LOL, the corncake sounds absolutely wonderful.....
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:46 AM

Swiss140 is just really niceSwiss140 is just really nice

Here’s one my wife did years ago, she rarely messes up any dish.

first a little back ground, I love spicy hot stuff and my BIL also loves hot and spicy things in fact he used to make his food supper hot. So this particular year my MIL planted a Chile Garden, and she got some real hot chills out of it. My wife and I decided to make our own chili powder using some of my MIL's Chile’s, it worked great.

So on this day my wife is making chili, and when she uses the store bought chili powder she adds 2 table spoons of it. So she was going to do the same with the homemade powder, I told her that I didn't think it was such a good idea. She said it would be fine___ NOT___ The chili was so hot that even my BIL wouldn't eat it. It was so hot that even the smell brought tears to your eyes. We ended up throwing the chili out and eating ice-cream for dinner.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 06:26 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I especially like the ice cream for dinner part!

You reminded me of one of mine, Swiss. One day last summer I decided to follow a recipe I saw for pink lemonade cupcakes. The recipe called for something like a half of a cup of powdered pink lemonade drink mix, but no other specifics were given. Well, I don't use powdered drink mixes so was somewhat at a loss standing in the grocery aisle. They didn't sell anything that looked exactly right, so I decided on some pink lemonade mix packets.

It turns out that I bought some concentrated, unsweetened mix when the recipe apparently MEANT to use non-concentrated, sweetened mix! Oh my goodness. Those cupcakes were the most pucker-inducing thing I have ever bit into, including lemons.

It turned out to not be a total loss though. I made them during football two-a-days (early August). DD (a trainer) brought them to the team and they had fun "proving themselves" by trying to eat them. I think only one boy succeeded.
Old October 12th, 2014, 02:25 PM
future crazy cat lady

This is an huh one

my older sister makes gravy, those who like gravy rave about it/request that she make it. No big deal right? The thing is hers always came out green tinged (and no one could figure out why - she follow the recipe but ... would get greenish gravy )
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:04 PM
future crazy cat lady

just remembered this one 'bout the ex (this happened before we ever met)

ex and one of his roommates decided to make supper for everyone (there were 4 people in the apartment + a couple, the wife is the one who told me about this)

When they went shopping neither one knew what shallots were {member of the onion family}, they saw scallops and figured they had to be similar because the words were similar { scallops are clams/mollusks} ( now both guys were in grad school at the time).

"Jill" told me that it was inedible.