Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old March 13th, 2015, 10:45 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Home remedy cleaner for shower doors please??

Does anyone know of a cleanser you can make at home thats effective for using on glass shower doors?,we have the one that is 3 panes that slide up on top of each other if you know what I mean, its a box shower so I have to get in it with jandals on and clean with Jiff...arrggghhh!!!!.....I wish I could pray on a spray of some kind and walk away and just come and rince it off??...is there such a thing??
Old March 14th, 2015, 12:32 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Home remedy cleaner for shower doors please??

In my head i'm seeing a trail of wet jandal prints tracking from your shower!

- We have a similar shower. We have found it much easier to clean if you use liquid soap rather than bar soap (something to do with how body fats behave, yuck!), and also it helps if you squeegee off the walls and doors after every shower. - There are times i've rubbed liquid laundry detergent around the bath tide-mark though, left for a few minutes and rinsed that off. Laundry detergent would work for the doors i would think?
Old March 14th, 2015, 12:47 AM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Home remedy cleaner for shower doors please??

[quote=Mrs X;75307]In my head i'm seeing a trail of wet jandal prints tracking from your shower!

Hahahahahahah!!!....I usually just go in and clean the walls with Jiff ( a lemon abrasive paste for bathrooms, and then I turn around and do the sliding doors. I wear jandals as I dont want to get the cleaner on my feet lol.....but I absolutely hate cleaning the glass, its a small box shaped shower , not much room in there......I hate that job the most!!!

I also have something called sugar soap in a bottle, I could try that...its a liquid with sugar in it, its actually nice to use.
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:51 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

snerk - when I first saw you used Jiff I was ??? - here in the States Jiff is a type of peanut butter

Anyway - vinegar works on shower doors/glass
Old March 14th, 2015, 02:30 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... a home care question I actually know the answer to!

snafu is right - a spray of one part vinegar (white or apple cider) to three parts water helps keep the glass shower doors clean.
Old March 14th, 2015, 02:39 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again, just a note, "sugar soap" is usually very strong caustic solution. Similar to dishwashing powder, and in fact you can use a solution of dishwashing powder for the same cleaning jobs. I'm not at all sure why it is called sugar soap though? - I guess i thought it was because it is the caustic that you add to the oils when you make soap? Anyway, it is not as innocuous as water this sugar in it.
Old March 14th, 2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
snerk - when I first saw you used Jiff I was ??? - here in the States Jiff is a type of peanut butter
Ha ha, here's the Australian ad from the 80's, the NZ one was even more cringe worthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6yySZA47r4
Old March 14th, 2015, 05:08 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

lol - I'd actually try Jif (not Jiff) if they had it here
Old March 14th, 2015, 06:18 PM

Talking Re: Home remedy cleaner for shower doors please??

Jif (spelt it correctly this time lol....oops senior moment) is effective and smells nice, it has a lemon smell, it comes a thick runny paste that has abrasive in it, its not damaging to benchtops etc,but its quite hard to wash away as it lathers up a lot, its great you can clean bathroom, toilets, vanities, kitchens,anything with it, I use a baking soda one, its effective but I was wondering if there was something easier to use on glass?, I especially hate trying to clean the glass doors!!....grrrrr!!!....thanks heaps everyone!!.

I loved that ad on the link that was posted, OMG I used to see that in NZ all the time as a kid in the 80s......at that time they didnt have the baking soda one which is in a green bottle now lol.........I especially love how she caresses the bottle, with those lovely pink nails!!...hahahaha.......and how filthy dirty the bath has gotten....hahahaha.......oh and dont forget the fluffy carpet around the bath!!.....80s spa bath lol lol!!.....oh the memories!!

Last edited by Catwoman; March 14th, 2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old March 14th, 2015, 08:36 PM

Lol, i as a kid i just wanted to go ice skating.

-There was an earlier version of the ad, similar graphics but with a woman's voice purring "jif is a powerful new liquid, it cleans and shines....." - Thank goodness they changed that! - The ad played for at least 15 years, i remember seeing it after i got married and thinking wha??? - Jif was hardly new at that stage!!!