Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old May 29th, 2015, 08:27 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
who knew - vinegar

I know vinegar can be used for cleaning, but discovered (the hard way) that it kills grass/makes it turn brown

- I may use it on the driveway instead of buying weed killer

another use for vinegar (I learned from my DM) is that it helps "take the sting out" of bad sunburns

anyone have other uses?
Old May 29th, 2015, 01:38 PM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: who knew - vinegar

Weed killer? You're awesome!
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:53 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

DH isn't happy about the "burn" in the yard (I don't blame him... I just didn't know it would happen)
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:56 AM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading its a good home remedy for nail fungus, you dab brown vinegar on with cotton wool, after soaking your nails in water with a little bit of bleach and then finish off with vicks, you do this everyday for a few weeks, apparently the acid in the vinegar eventually kills the fungus.

Last edited by Catwoman; June 5th, 2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:26 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
DH isn't happy about the "burn" in the yard (I don't blame him... I just didn't know it would happen)
Bummer! I was thinking more along the lines of the grass and weeds that grow between the gaps and cracks of landscape blocks, bricks, driveway and sidewalk. Also, at work I regularly order weed and grass killer. I bought a gallon and I'm going to have one of my maintenance guys spray on a certain are in the parking lot to see if it works there. I'd much rather pay $3.00 for a weed killer than $30 for weed killer.
Old June 6th, 2015, 01:49 PM
future crazy cat lady

the "burn" is how I discovered vinegar killed grass

I just treated the drive with it ... will update later on how it worked

(I'll be ecstatic if it works well - I hate using pesticides/insecticides for fear of poisoning birds & other critters)
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:03 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I use vinegar or boiling water for the stuff in the cracks. The problem is that the stuff still grows back. The neighbor who uses the herbicide only has to do it once a season.

Catwoman, I wish vinegar worked on toenail fungus.
Old June 9th, 2015, 12:51 PM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

yes, it works great on weeds, but I wouldn't use it aside of any flowers or grass....the white vinegar is great for so many things....also, Dawn Dish Detergent is wonderful at cleaning off dirt and mold from your siding, with a pressure washer or otherwise.

Thank you Snafu
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:46 AM

zoomflx is on a distinguished road

never tried to use vinegar for that, but definitely sounds interesting. I'll give it a try.
Old December 28th, 2016, 09:33 AM
future crazy cat lady

apple cider vinegar is good to help rashes dry up and to stop the itching (at least for shingles)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )