Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old July 6th, 2015, 05:37 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Truth in advertising

I almost bought a dog this weekend.

We have a neighborhood pet store that has tons of animals. We usually just visit or are looking for something specific for DD's hermit crabs. I have always said we should get a rescue dog. We shouldn't buy a dog from the store and support puppy mills.

But there was a dog in there yesterday that was just so cute! He seemed very sweet and friendly. DD and I talked DH's into seeing him in the visiting area. He "marked" DH. :eek!

I started asking questions about the breeds (it's a designer dog) and their traits. i asked how big it would get and she said it would get to be about 60 lbs. That's a big dog! DH said we had to thnk about it, research the breed, and we left.

After some research, this dog is not for us. I'm actually a little upset because the dog is advertised as "Blue Heeler/terrier." What they aren't saying is that the "terrier" is Pit Bull.

We aren't getting the dog. There is no way that I want to train a high strung, high energy dog that's bigger and stronger than me!

I suspect they aren't being honest about the Pitt Bull mix because people are afraid of Pit Bulls. They are listed as "vicious," "dangerous," or banned in some communities here.
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:11 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Truth in advertising

Awww, I bet that was difficult to walk away from.

A friend of mine has a border collie. I LOVE that dog. He is sooooo smart, but oh yes. He is high energy and needs LOTS of mental stimulation.
Old July 6th, 2015, 02:02 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

That happened to me, as we used to just visit our local big pet shop. It ended up with the woman getting the dog out of the cage and giving it to me, and she said she wants to go home with you. This dog was $1400 and they were really trying to push it on us. This shop is a large chain store here in NZ, and people are advised not to buy them from these shops as they don't even guarantee if the animal becomes sick when you take it home. They are often sold to these shops by puppy farmers and the shop on sells them for more than 100% than they paid, they also cant guarantee the breed at all, so you don't really know what you are getting. Amazes me they can sell animals with no records or guarantees who the breeder is or the animals health for such high prices.

Pitbulls are on the dangerous dogs list here in NZ, if one is caught roaming by our animal protection people, it is caught by dog control and put down as they cant be rehomed due to them being unpredictable. Our laws say they must be walked on a harness and be muzzled when out and about. I cant understand why anyone would keep one?. We have had many instances here where kids have been viciously attacked by them. To us they are pig hunting dogs, with a sense for blood and locking onto its prey. Yet people try to keep them?.

My friend acquired a pitbull as it was running free along the road, she reckoned it was dumped, so she took it home. Shes an animal lover that takes in unwanted pets and has 3 dogs and 7 cats at the moment. We got a kitten from her that we love. She has to walk the dog separate to the other ones she has because its very strong, and keeps it away from the other animals, but I have been on the phone to her when its out in her lounge. Tbh I am reluctant to go there now because of it. I wont take my family there as I don't want them hurt. I feel she will pay the price one day when it attacks one of her other animals I reckon, or herself...hope it never happens, but you cant ever trust these dogs.

Last edited by Catwoman; July 6th, 2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old July 7th, 2015, 06:10 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have that level of mistrust of pits, it's the pet store that I have a problem with!

The issue with pit bulls is their unpredictable nature. They are very strong, smart, and loyal. They need good training, a strong Alpha and consistent discipline. And they need lots of exercise. I don't think pits or blue heelers are good dogs for my neighborhood or lifestyle.

I probably should get a cat.
Old July 7th, 2015, 11:00 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

DSD has a heeler (red)

they need lots of exercise & room to romp, they get bored easily & are "supper" chewers, which means they need a variety of intellectually stimulating toys that are extremely durable.

guess who spoils the grand-dog? I also research the toys for the breed

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )