Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Weight Loss/Exercise

Weight Loss/Exercise Discuss issues related to Weight Loss and Exercise

Old August 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Talking No sugar = instant easy weight loss

I have decided to do an experiment, it involves cutting out sugar from my diet. I have stopped eating sweet treats like biscuits at night, lollies, sugar in hot drinks and fizzy drink , ice cream etc. I have also stopped buying myself a sweet treat reward on shopping day, when I could easily down a chocolate bar in the car or a fresh choc eclair from the in store bakery in the supermarket.We have always had quite a good diet at home really without too much of this stuff, but I have decided to really concentrate and do it for a while and see what happens. After 2 weeks I have lost 1.4 kilos. I have substituted sweet in my hot drinks with stevia tablets and don't have dessert or biscuits at night. No fizzy drinks at all. OMG its starting to fall off. I admit Im not good with regular exercise, I get bored with it. Im doing my rebounder jumping sporadically, I might try a bit harder with it now.

I usually have a really sweet tooth and can even binge on sweet things if I let myself. I absolutely love cheese cake, lollies, choc eclairs, apple turnover donuts with cream etc.....so bad I know!!. So just going to keep doing it and see what happens. Im trying to trim my waistline a bit for my trip at the end of the year. Im not a really big person but I could do with losing a bit.

Its interesting reading that sugar is metabolised straight away by the liver into fat immediately when we eat it,so fast it is not even recognised as a food by our brain. It is as addictive as alcohol, class A drugs etc, and makes us release dopamine the feel good drug pretty fast,so no wonder we love it so much. It was scary reading that sugar spikes your insulin levels highly somtimes, which makes your liver work harder to do so, possibly leading to diabetes later on. My mother is a diabetic who takes pills and does skin pricks, so I know once you are there you cant go back.

So this will be interesting, Im finding it ok at the moment actually. It was hard to walk past the biscuits in the first week, but I have got used to having my 2 tsp of milo in my hot drink at night, then sweetner tabs of stevia (a nice natural sweetner) in my drinks. and that's my daily treat, I don't look at the ice cream, hubby and the kids make theirs at night while I have my milo, each night when I go to bed I think to myself, I survived another day without sugar!!,just taking each day as it comes....going to try to keep it up.

Last edited by Catwoman; August 8th, 2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old August 8th, 2015, 03:11 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No sugar = instant easy weight loss

Has to be healthier anyway, right?

Friends have Stevia growing in thier garden, presume you can just put hot water on the leaves for a sweet herbal tea, as it is the leaves that are sweet?
Old August 8th, 2015, 04:18 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Sugar is my weakness. I have a huge sweet tooth and would take all of my daily calories in as a sweet rather than something healthy if I could get away with it. Whenever I need to lose weight, I cut out carbs and it usually works wonders. The problem for me is that I can't maintain that carb-free lifestyle. If I can manage moderation, I'm okay. But in times of stress or celebration I tend to go on sugar binges and then have to go on the diet to lose the weight I gained.
Old August 8th, 2015, 04:22 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

I usually go mad and try to cut out everything, which makes me fail about a week later,and results on a binge because Im so hungry,but I have found limiting portion size at meal times to either a side plate size or a breakfast bowl is enough. I eat carbs, but I just thought cutting out the sugar is really something we don't really need. Its supposed to be guaranteed way to lose weight to start with.So far its working
Old August 8th, 2015, 05:28 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I cut out corn syrup a number of years ago (not 100%, but just as much as I could) for my kids and it's amazing how much different - better! - food tastes without the added sugar. I don't know if NZ food producers are as bad as American food producers, but there is so much sugar in practically everything.

I have gone to sugar-free peanut butter, reduced sugar ketchup, sugar-free wheat bread, etc. It is always interesting when one of my kids will comment that our ketchup tastes so much better (like tomatoes) than what they are served elsewhere. I like sugar-free or reduced sugar products better, unless it's things that are SUPPOSED to be loaded with sugar, such as cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, candy bars, etc.

Funny thing though... as much as I love sugar laden sweet food, I stopped drinking full-sugar sodas probably 30 years ago after Diet Coke came out. I never liked drinking them. I always swore I could feel them rotting my teeth!! LOL.

I'm happy you're getting such positive results, Catwoman! Congratulations!
Old August 8th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Thanks Kaykay, Im really going to try to keep it up, it cant hurt.

Yes NZ is bad for additives added to food and drinks. We have the usual breakfast cereals plastered all over TV that claim they are good for kids etc, when in fact they are not, they are full of sugar and colour. We had a big company in NZ get into trouble when some school kids did a science project testing one of their drinks they had been manufacturing for over 30 years and was a household name, when the lab results came back showing the vitamin C content simply didn't match the claims on the bottle.... Infact it was completely fake claims, that almost ruined them....the kids took the story to a consumer affairs prog which deals with ripoffs and false claims who exposed them. Many of us believed this juice was so good!!.

We had a prog made in NZ last year and the year before called "What's in our food"...it explored different products every week, showcasing the true nutritional value and the lies told by marketing companies to get us to like them. They also told us how marketing works in our supermarkets here, how every isle and item is strategically placed to tempt us,and that companies actually pay for shelf height within an isle which depends how quickly customers see the products. Middle to top height is the main aim of course as that's what we see first.
We got to see that many foods have false claims of nutritional value, like sports drinks, cereals, snacks and many more. My kids don't eat any other cereal other than Weetbix, which is just squares of plain malted wheat, with no sugar, or they like porridge. We also like plain old cornflakes with fruit. Kids and hubby share one bottle of fizzy like Pepsi once a week on the weekend,so that's not too bad....gotta have something bad. We don't eat lots of junk and most of our diet is pretty good, but we do have things like ice cream, sweet biscuits, sugar, and the odd fizzy drink in the house. I don't expect everyone to do the same as me, I just try to keep them on a good track anyway.

I switched to stevia as its a natural sweetner,that is safe and good for you unlike saccharin, which in some studies has been shown to have neg affects in our systems....and the fact it is derived from sugar and chemicals.

When I go to South America at Xmas they have a diet of making everything they eat from scratch, using products sourced from local markets,they don't eat takeaways due to cost, very rarely. They have set meal times like we do but all the food is pre planned and cooked well in advance for the day. They have breakfast, a bigger lunch and a small light dinner.They don't eat many sweets and if they do they make a dessert, but not like us westerners, so that will help with not eating rubbish too, I will just have to watch the alcohol as that's loaded with sugar....and its Xmas!!!

If we just try to make some simple small changes instead of big ones, we can probably achieve them I reckon.

Last edited by Catwoman; August 8th, 2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old August 14th, 2015, 08:36 PM

Hello again...ok so after still not eating sugar for about 3 weeks now I have lost 2.2 kgs....so will keep going..
Old August 14th, 2015, 08:57 PM

That's great! Keep up the good work! Are you feeling better?
Old August 14th, 2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
That's great! Keep up the good work! Are you feeling better?
I am actually, and my clothes are very slowly getting a little looser hehe,that cant be bad ...I just have to keep remembering all that sugar I was eating was so bad....I was a bit of a sugary binge eater.....I get cravings too, but I just try to think of something else, or have a cup of tea with sweetner tablets instead lol.
Old August 15th, 2015, 04:22 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

An American-based, NZ-born artist has recently done an experiment where he boiled down soft-drinks (soda drinks, fizzy drinks) and made giant lollipops out of the remianing syrup, which he photographed to show visually what is meant by "hidden sugar".

*Please note this artist does have some very controversal work, he deliberately tries to be provocative. I'm neirther promoting or oposing his art, just commenting on this series.

http://henryhargreaves.com/dehydrate-3