Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old August 10th, 2015, 07:19 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
DSD's dog

DSD has a dog that is really cute and lovable but ...

yeah, but .....

the dog isn't trained and about bit me twice today - once when I was creating her and once when she was after one of my cats

I've got to talk to DH about not wanting the dog here again until trained

help....

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old August 10th, 2015, 08:01 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DSD's dog

Oh, I wouldn't pick that battle snafu. You know that saying - "Love me, love my dog." Somehow I don't think your DSD would have the time or desire to train a dog. She's young still and probably doesn't know the importance.

YOU train the dog to respect YOU while in YOUR house. Then there will be no issue.
Old August 10th, 2015, 08:10 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how to train a dog

I afraid she's going to hurt someone or one of the cats

Does anyone know if dog training classes would take a person without a dog?

Old August 10th, 2015, 08:29 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how to train a dog either. I have never owned a dog. I am a cat person. Just last week with no professional help, I successfully "trained" my BF's dog to respect me and my rules (in her house) while she was on vacation. We started with him growling when I got too close, and by the end of the week he trusted me and was bounding toward me with a tennis ball to play when I'd arrive.

Research the breed, learn what its needs and preferences are, and read suggestions online (try the ASPCA website for links). Not to knock professional dog training classes, but this dog isn't a huge part of your life. I don't think you need to spend the money getting it trained.

I think it's far preferable to take the matter in to your own hands. Pick your battles. Besides, it's your DSD's "baby." Be a good grandma and let her choose how to raise it even if you don't agree.

ETA: To avoid people coming on the forum to tell me how wrong I am, support professional dog training, having dogs trained and not taking the matter into her own hands, please note that I VERY MUCH SUPPORT having dogs trained and professional services to do that. What I posted was for snafu's specific situation, which includes other things going on in her life that are not in this thread.

Last edited by KayKay; August 10th, 2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old August 11th, 2015, 06:57 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I had a dog. I trained him myself. I let him know I was the Alpha and he followed me everywhere and did what I told him. I "crate" trained him so he would be in his crate at night. I'd take him out immediately, then he could run the house. After a few days, he figured it out. He even learned how to open our sliding door to go out, but I never could teach him to close it.

I also had a cat. The cat and the dog were best friends. The key is that the cats should be there first, and they are. Once the cat and dog know each other, they will calm down. They will play, but no one will get hurt.
Old August 11th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, make the dog do what you want, you are the boss.
Most important points:
1. You are the boss.
2. Happy voice for praise
3. Deep growly voice for bad behaviour
4. Consistent 100% (all humans use exactly the same commands for same thing).

With nipping, your breed of dog is trying to round you up, as it is a working breed. NOT accepable, you HAVE to dominate immediately, anticipating this before the dog knows he is going to do it.

Have a read of "the dog listener" by Jan Fannell, very illuminating.
Old August 11th, 2015, 03:45 PM
future crazy cat lady

Puppy is truly a good, high energy dog but has no training

I'll try to get DH to help me (he's trained dogs before) so that we're on the same page

If puppy lived here I'd take her to classes myself (DSD's work schedule doesn't mesh with training classes)

I've been a good doggy grandma in the past .... I bought lots of toys appropriate for her age & breed .... and TREATS

Old August 11th, 2015, 03:55 PM

I think getting DH to help you train the dog is a good idea. Tell him what you're worried about and he'll be on the same page. I just don't think you ought to go as far as to say you don't want the dog there until trained, because that sounds completely different from "We need to make sure the dog doesn't hurt someone while here... can you help me train it?"
Old August 11th, 2015, 04:02 PM
future crazy cat lady

I agree .... I'm a little (not a lot) worried that if Grand-dog gets out (yeah- she's made a break too) and bites someone ... the legal/animal control consequences would be really bad.

I've watched too much Judge Judy AND had some-else's dogs come after me & "Blondie" TWICE in the past - I had panic attacks (FIY "Blondie" is our dog that passed away a while back).

Old August 21st, 2015, 06:23 PM
future crazy cat lady

I got bit .....