Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old August 22nd, 2015, 06:27 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DSD's dog

What kind of "bit?" An attack? A nip? Skin broken?
Old August 23rd, 2015, 11:22 AM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I need to be trained - when I'd asked DH he said there wasn't enough time (that puppy was here) to make a difference.

I got a puncture wound (and a tetanus shot) that is healing but still tender & slightly swollen.

I'm not going to go into the whole situation .... I need training on how to work with puppy correctly. It was a fail on both our parts.

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:12 PM

albabu46 is on a distinguished road

Train him. When he bites while play, make a high pitch yelp or sound. It will grab the dogs attention & startle him. He wont like it. It will take time so don't get frustrated when he doesn't magically stop. Don't forget to reward the pooch with a treat and/or verbal "Good dog/boy!" when he doesn't bite.
Old December 27th, 2015, 05:47 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

end result of being bit is that I have a scar at the base of my thumb

... and DSD has never brought her dog back

Old January 8th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

Snafu
Every time I got a new puppy, I enrolled us both into puppy kindergarden. Why? B/c, it is an obedience class and a lot of fun...and knowledge for the inexperienced....but, it was always something I just did for my dogs and a refresher course for me. If the dog wouldn't have obeyed, I would have gone to other classes but starting them young, at 8 weeks old is a must.

Also, when all my dogs were puppies, I would take them to public places and have people walk up to them, pet them, hold them, and play with them...to a park or grocery store, is the best...people love puppies and the interaction is very good practice.

You cannot send a dog out to be trained...well you can, but the moment he/she comes back home, the same old habits will start again, b/c the owners don't know what they are doing, and in most cases what they do is what changes the dog into disobedience and a biter.

Your dog needs an obedience class and then further training and the entire family must invest in it. Having a dog is like having a kid....it's for the dog's entire life, and you must be able to invest time both in class and in your home to ensure a safe, happy and well balanced dog.

A dog also needs exercise...if it doesn't get it, there will be psychological problems....

I suggest you first get your family invested in caring about this dog...tough love is needed, and you all should definately attend classes to learn what to do.

My cousin adopted a dog, and she is a love, and they take her to puppy day care once a week. She loves it, the socialization is very good for her and them both.

If your entire family doesn't quickly get invested in the dogs psychological well being, your going to have a big problem on your hands.

the dog already bit you, and it will do so again, b/c it learned to do so...a dog usually turns bad b/c of the handlers and not because there is something wrong with the dog.

It is a big big responsibility, and you might want to invite a trainer over to your home to speak with all of you about this....

My 2nd last dog was a redbone coonhound and every single night after supper I took him out and worked him on the leash for about an hour. He became so obedient, that a neighbor, whose father raised coon hounds, was shocked at his submittal.

Once a dog starts to bite, that is bad. And not the dogs fault. I'm sorry to say....

Good luck sweetie....

Last edited by Cremebrulee; January 8th, 2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old January 8th, 2016, 03:47 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with what Crème says if the dog lives with you, or if the owner asks for advice. (I don't think the dog lives with Snafu though, i think it is her DSD's dog?)

My understanding is that blue heelers are bred as working dogs, so possibly Snafu had inadvertently let the dog think she needed looking after and the dog was just instinctively doing its job in a puppy manner. - I've often seen their NZ equivalent (border collies) rounding up sheep by nipping to get instant obedience from the herd.
Old January 8th, 2016, 06:50 PM
future crazy cat lady

sigh - if PMIL had left the dog outside like DSD wanted, this wouldn't have happened

I was trying to help DSD get the dog back outside (I should have left it alone) and got bit. My grand"puppy" gets really wound up when there are a lot of people here. When its just us (DSD, DH, me, DS) she's a lot better.

Old January 8th, 2016, 09:57 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
sigh - if PMIL had left the dog outside like DSD wanted, this wouldn't have happened

I was trying to help DSD get the dog back outside (I should have left it alone) and got bit. My grand"puppy" gets really wound up when there are a lot of people here. When its just us (DSD, DH, me, DS) she's a lot better.
Yeah, they grow up eventually, but some of the more gregarious pups get SO excited with a crowd that *must be there for them* that they find self control very hard. Poor you, poor pup. Bad great-grandma(?) for not listening to puppy's mummy.

Warning for you to make sure PMiL actually listens to your DSD when DSD has kids, Snafu.
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:44 PM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post

Try this....if the dog is at your home:

about an hour before company comes, take the dog out for a run...let her/him run, run, run, and tire it out....dogs need daily exercise, and it helps them mentally as well....

and snafu...regardless, no dog should ever bite...ever, for any reason....that is a very bad problem that can escalate....he learns through biting that he/she gets his way.

Good Luck
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs X View Post
Agree with what Crème says if the dog lives with you, or if the owner asks for advice. (I don't think the dog lives with Snafu though, i think it is her DSD's dog?)

Thanks so much for telling me the dog doesn't live with Snafu, greatly appreciate.

My understanding is that blue heelers are bred as working dogs, so possibly Snafu had inadvertently let the dog think she needed looking after and the dog was just instinctively doing its job in a puppy manner. - I've often seen their NZ equivalent (border collies) rounding up sheep by nipping to get instant obedience from the herd.
oh, your right, my girlfriend had a border collie, that nipped, b/c it was doing it's job, I forgot about that!!! Aren't animals amazing....