Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Pets

Old August 17th, 2015, 07:47 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
My pet

YDS has a frequent visitor who stays in the basement. I've joked about him coming and going unseen. He's like a little pet.

Last week we had a laugh because we thought he ate a cookie from DD's Christmas cookie collection. After 8months of sitting on a plate, Santa was gone. I only found Santa's beard on the counter.

This week, the angel's wings were nibbled. You could actually see grooves from teeth.

So it seems I have another basement dweller who comes and goes unseen! I set a mouse trap for him. The peanut butter was gone in a few hours, but the trap was not sprung.

There are no tell-tale droppings anywhere.

I hope it's a mouse!
Old August 17th, 2015, 07:54 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: My pet

How about some mouse bait, its like a big hard biscuit, they cant resist it. They eat it and it dehydrates their system, killing them in the end. You have to tie it to something with wire,because they try to steal it, because its so yummy.
Old August 17th, 2015, 11:40 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My pet

I had mice living in my Suburban from the field behind us about 12 years ago. Yes, mice in my car. (protection from predators, abundant dropped French fries and cereal, water from the a/c condensation... it was a perfect habitat!) The pest control guy said to use glue traps so the mice wouldn't crawl to parts unseen of the car and then die (and then decompose). THAT was awful. I would set them at night and have to dispose of them in the morning before anyone got in the car.

Mostly I have to wonder about YDS's visitor if you'd suspect he'd eat 8 month old cookies from a plate in the basement.
Old August 18th, 2015, 02:30 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: My pet

LOVE the title of your post Lucy! I hope you catch the smaller of the two frequent visitors. (And the other one sounds a bit anti-social, so for his sake i hope he stays hidden)
Old August 18th, 2015, 06:00 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Use caramel as bait. Works very well - better than cheese.

When I was a kid, we had a cat. Critter was useless as a mouse catcher. If anything, it would catch mice from the neighbors and bring them home as playmates.

That's why I like dogs... They kill them and eat them. No evidence.
Old August 19th, 2015, 06:06 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I won't use glue traps or bait. The poor little things cry on the traps and I'm afraid the mouse will die in the wall or worse, get out and die only to poison another animal that consumes it.

Kaykay, I thought mice living in cars were urban legends!

Knot, I'll have to check out the caramel! We had a mouse problem when we had a cat. There were even ,one droppings in the cat's food bowl. I was so ashamed! We didn't have issues when we had a dog. Time for a puppy!

We use the old fashioned mouse trap. We got a big mouse! DH said, "You leave the garage door open. That's how he comes and goes." I was thinking, "Are we talking about the mouse or the other basement dweller?"
Old August 19th, 2015, 06:23 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Set several traps out. I think you'll be impressed with the caramel. It doesn't dry up like cheese does. I've heard of peanut butter too; although I've never tried it.
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:44 AM

We've always done the peanut butter. I even use it for mole (small grey moles) and vole traps outside. It works well.

We have more traps set out. There's never just 1 mouse and it's still 95 outside.
Old August 21st, 2015, 06:25 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried the humane traps (catch and release .... far away)

btw - mice in the car .... I once discovered a mouse nest when I was changing the air filter

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old August 22nd, 2015, 06:11 AM

I don't do the catch and release traps for mice. First, I don't want to release them where they come back or will die anyway. Plue, I have a friend who insisted on them. She forgot to check them regularly. I think the old fashioned snap traps are the best and our humane society recommends them.