Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Health and Wellness > Reproduction and Pregnancy

Reproduction and Pregnancy Discuss issues related to Reproduction and Pregnancy

Old November 4th, 2015, 10:08 AM

MexicanGem will become famous soon enough
House birth

Hi all of you,

I am 2 months pregnant and I am considering my options for a birth plan. I am starting to feel comfortable with the idea of giving birth either at my house or at a "birth house" where I live, in Germany.

But I would really want to hear about the experiences from women who have actually gone through this. Would you recommend it?

And, more of a general question: I know all women are different, but is the pain of giving birth (without an epidural) so awful you want to die (lol!- First-time mom here)?? I pride myself on having a high pain tolerance, but I still wanted to ask. Please share your experiences with me, because I am terrified!!

Hugs and greetings from Germany
Gem.
Old November 4th, 2015, 10:21 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: House birth

Welcome back MexicanGem!! Congratulations!

The important thing about childbirth is that you do what is right for YOU. You have plenty of time to think about it, so relax and do your research.

Personally, I had a hospital birth and wouldn't even consider a home birth. So I'm not someone to ask about home birth. I had an epidural for both of my kids (thus the hospital birth) so I couldn't give an opinion about natural childbirth either. I do know that I had very quick and easy labors (4 hours and 2 hours) that went so fast they barely had time to give me the epidural, so I don't have any horror stories to tell. Maybe that eases your mind a little bit? That there are "easy childbirth" stories out there?
Old November 4th, 2015, 10:47 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any easy childbirth stories. 3 c-sections. I was never a candidate for a natural (therefore home) birth so I can't help you.

But I want to celebrate with you! Congratulations!
Old November 4th, 2015, 11:31 AM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Birth is something that can be very different for each woman. I have 2 children and both times were completely different. The first time was in a hospital on a bed. I had a fast labour at 6 hrs in the end, but it was slow starting once the waters broke, I waited 12 hours after the waters broke and had to have the cervix gel to get labour started.But it was very intense and had the gas only to help me.
The second time 4 yrs later was in a private hospital and on the day I ended up having a water birth with no pain relief. The waters didnt break but I was in full labour very quickly.It wasnt planned because I was in the birthing pool just to have my contractions in the warm water. I woke up and had a show at 5am and my son was born at 9am.Then the last stage of labour was happening very intensely and I could not get out of it, so my midwife said she was experienced in water births. I had my second son in the pool and it was the best thing I did. I had only been in the pool 1/2 an hour and he arrived quickly.My labour was only 3 hours. Most first babies take 10 - 14 hours to arrive. I had big babies that were over 8 pounds.

My advice is do your research. Research the person that is going to help you on the day if you can. Birth is quite intense and I wont lie it is painful, everyone deals with it differently. Read lots of books etc. Learn about how each form of pain relief affects the baby. That helped me make my decision as to what I wanted to use. I personally wanted a drug free birth both times, so that my baby wasnt affected, and so that I had control over my body. Some drugs make you very sleepy.Make your birth plan and write it down for the birthing person to follow. I personally would rather be somewhere the medical staff are present if an emergency should arise.

Best of luck with your birth..congrats.

Last edited by Catwoman; November 4th, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old November 4th, 2015, 01:50 PM

Thank you for your responses!!
I am terrified of the pain, but I know women did this and survived it for ages. So I guess our bodies are build up to endure this. I am still doing my research, and it is really awesome to hear this.

I am currently changing doctors, and the one I had an appointment with today has a great relationship with a group of midwifes and he actually supported my plan completely. I think he is a keeper!

BTW, @CatWoman, How did you deal with the pain??

I will do my research! I have neeeever thought that it took so long for babies to be born!! D: D: I will do my homework for sure.

And I will wait for other responses too. I am really curious to hear about your experiences.

Gem.
Old November 4th, 2015, 02:56 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again, the answer to your question on how did I deal with the pain is, with the first child I used the gas you breathe through a face mask, that is very good. With the second birth it was all happening very fast, I didnt have time to even get any gas as my son was born in just 2 pushes, in half and hour. Midwives teach you how to breathe through contractions, and when to push etc. Amazingly your body wants to push naturally without you doing it as your cervix opens with each contraction. Its the last big pushes at the end they tell you what to do. You are correct our bodies are built for this, and we dont die from the pain.

Dont focus too much on the pain, just enjoy your pregnancy, worrying about it isnt going to make it easier. Each woman's experience is so very different to the next. My best advice is to get as much rest the week before the birth and a couple of days before to save your energy. I hope I havent scared you too much, just trying to be truthful.It all may be a lot easier than you think. Birth is a truely amazing thing, embrace and enjoy it...
Old November 5th, 2015, 01:44 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
I am pretty excited about this right now...and also mildly terrified!
I will let you all know how this develops.

Gem
Old November 6th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

Congradulations Mexican Gem!

- I have one baby, and that birth was with an epidural 20 years ago (gasp!), but i got them to only give me half a does so i could feel what was going on, but a bit numbed. - The pain is like really bad period pain, but comes in waves rather than being steady, so you can't get used to it.- It's just really tiring, it's not like it blows your mind.

Coming home with a small baby you have to somehow keep alive is much more work than giving birth, make sure you focus on that, because giving birth is minor, in a way.

Take care!
Old November 6th, 2015, 12:35 PM

I agree with Mrs X, giving birth is the easy part, its when you get home the hard work begins. Best of luck.
Old November 6th, 2015, 05:56 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

... its your birth .... (((hugs))) and enjoy

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )