Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Recipes

Recipes Post and rate your favorite Recipes

Old November 28th, 2015, 01:48 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute
cheesecake tip(s)

I just made my first cheesecake that the top didn't crack!

I put it in a larger pan of water while baking (after covering the bottom of the spring form pan with foil) and once it was done I cracked the oven open to let it cool for an hour before I removed it and placed it on the cooling rack ....

(I made ginger cheesecake)

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old November 28th, 2015, 03:11 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cheesecake tip(s)

I make pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving every year. I use a water bath too. I took mine straight out of the oven though and cooled it on a cooling rack. Last year I made a white chocolate cheesecake for Christmas... I need to find that recipe again.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:17 AM

Cremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud ofCremebrulee has much to be proud of

haven't made cheesecake in a very long time, but yes, we used to crack the oven open for an hour....
Snafu....sounds yummy!
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:43 PM

sillypeper is on a distinguished road

haven't tried making cheesecake yet though I love to eat cheesecake especially the strawberry cheesecake. I'll try to share this helpful tip to my sister who used to make them for me...hihihiih
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:24 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

I've never tried this book, but you could see if your library has it

"The Perfect Cheesecake" by Bernice Hurst

(someone on another forum recommended it - I've yet to see if my library has it)

Old March 10th, 2016, 06:50 AM

skyisthelimit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post

I just made my first cheesecake that the top didn't crack!

I put it in a larger pan of water while baking (after covering the bottom of the spring form pan with foil) and once it was done I cracked the oven open to let it cool for an hour before I removed it and placed it on the cooling rack ....

(I made ginger cheesecake)
You did the right thing! Water bath is one of right things to do whenever you are making a cheesecake. In addition to that, you have to be very careful not to over mix the ingredients and not to over bake. The beater / mixer should only be in low to medium speed during mixing. The temperature must start with 200c then decrease to 180 then to 150 then turn it off completely, let it rest for 30 minutes and leave the door ajar for another 30 minutes before transferring the cheesecake to cooling rack. Before, putting the cake inside the fridge, let it cool outside for about 2 hours. Let it stay inside the ref for 6-8 hours before serving. Yes, it takes a lot of time and effort but it will surely be one of the best cheesecakes! ;-) Btw, what I love to bake is New York Cheesecake :-)
Old March 10th, 2016, 09:45 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there some kind of quick recipe for a cheesecake? Something like cream cheese and cool whip?

Love cheesecake. Apple crunch pies, pumpkin pie, cherry pie, peach pie...

All the good stuff I never have. Stinks...
Old March 16th, 2016, 01:50 PM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I asked my wife if she would make a cheesecake sometime soon. She just smiled.

She still keeps me guessing.
Old March 16th, 2016, 02:08 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

OMG!! cheeeeeesecake!!.....its my ultimate fave....if I have to choose my death,it will be by eating too much cheesescake...yum!!!
Old March 18th, 2016, 06:58 PM
future crazy cat lady

Knott - how 'bout you make one & surprise her?

if you like "turtle" cheesecake - just make a plain cheesecake (use chocolate graham crackers/wafer cookies for the crust) , throw in a cup of mini chocolate chips, and have some caramel ice-cream topping = yummy