Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Other

Other General household discussions.

Old June 8th, 2016, 04:44 AM

SadIrishGirl is on a distinguished road
Talking Stubborn Pet Urine Odors - A solution!

Hi everyone...

Just wanted to share what I did to remove old pet urine stains from carpet.

After getting our choc lab puppy, we started with paper training. Buying the puppy pads was expensive but during the winter it helped when I could not make it outside quick enough.

Unfortunately, the urine seemed to bleed thru the plastic backing of the pads - even when I doubled and tripled them. Plus, the little pup wasn't exactly accurate alot of times. I cleaned up as soon as I would notice - but sometimes didn't catch the sneaky little boy.

So now, since puppy is outdoor trained, I have the problem of cleaning up the mess (old urine smell and stain).

I have a small steam cleaner (spot buster) and a large bissell floor steamer.

These are the actions I took and the outcomes:

1. Used Nature's Miracle in Large cleaner (for cleaning solution). This did not work.
2. Used Vinegar and water in small cleaner (for cleaning solution). This worked somewhat but smell of vinegar was horrible. Urine odor came back after a few days.
3. Used PineSol and water in small cleaner (for cleaning solution). This worked better than anything. But still, odor remained.
4. Sprinkled an entire box of baking soda all over carpet and let it sit for an entire day. Then vaccuumed it up. Result: Odor is gone! Finally

Carpet is without stains and smells neutral after all these steps.
Note - we have very light beige, 70's style shag carpet.

I hope this can help others who face the same problem!
Old June 8th, 2016, 05:47 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stubborn Pet Urine Odors - A solution!

Thanks for the tips!

We have an 8month old golden retreiver. She was ok to toilet train, but would get too excited, and wee when someone came home, even if you had only been out for an hour or 2. I found like you that the best solution was to just soak up as much as i could, (until a tissue was coming up dry), the flodd the area with plain cold water, and soak it all up again.

However, she does a fine effort of making everything smell like smelly dog. Sigh. Happy to hear tips for resolving that, too!

How old is your pup?
Old June 9th, 2016, 05:42 AM

SadIrishGirl is on a distinguished road

Hi MrsX!

My choc lab is now 6 months old and my pug is 2 yrs old. Both males, both neutered. The boys play outside and love to romp, so it's a constant battle with keeping my house clean and not horribly offensive-smelling.

Otto, my lab, gets the house 'stinky' the most. The baby - Emmitt the Pug - has shorter hair and doesn't really get things too smelly. Both track in the dirt and bring the salty-paw smell onto the carpets and furniture.

I'm trying my best to clean every other day (vacuum, deodorize, etc) but dogs are dogs and my house smells like I have 2 of them! The baking soda is working good for me right now. It's cheap and I sprinkle it everywhere and vacuum it up. Seems to cut the odors. Plus, it's not wet - so I'm not walking on damp carpet all the time.

I love using yankee candle tarts and I have the bath & body works wallflower plug-in's everywhere. So cinnamon vanilla and dog smell....LOL

Oh what fun!
Old June 19th, 2016, 02:51 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Simple green seems to be working in my house

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old September 14th, 2016, 06:14 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a professional service that specializes in removing pet urine odors

it was $$$, but worth it

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )