Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Recipes

Recipes Post and rate your favorite Recipes

Old July 15th, 2016, 09:05 AM

skyisthelimit is on a distinguished road
looking for recipes that uses the Sous-vide cooking method

anybody here familiar with the cooking method called Sous-vide? it is a method of cooking which food is sealed in airtight plastic bags then placed in a water bath or in a temperature-controlled steam environment for longer than normal cooking times.

I am currently addicted to this cooking method and would like to ask if you could share some recipes where this cooking method is used. Also, can anyone please let me know where i can buy boil in bag pouches, the ones that they use in restaurants? Thanks!
Old July 16th, 2016, 12:17 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: looking for recipes that uses the Sous-vide cooking method

If you are using this method, don't you need a vacuum sealer? Does the manufacturer not offer the bags?
Old July 16th, 2016, 01:13 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to find the best place for asking these types of questions is Google! ☺
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old July 16th, 2016, 01:18 PM

Mrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond reputeMrs X has a reputation beyond repute

The manufacturers bags are usually very expensive, and yes you would need need a bag sealer, but that should have come with the (also expensive) apparatus.

Here you go Skyisthelimit, here is a fact sheet that tells you how to go about not needing the bags.

Good luck, what sort of things have you been making?

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...y-and-sourcing
Old July 16th, 2016, 02:44 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

the Williams-Sonoma web site has some recipes

When they've demonstrated it in class I thought the food was good .... just time consuming & expensive ... but restaurant owners & chefs would come to the classes too

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:59 PM

skyisthelimit is on a distinguished road

Okay. I went and asked the restaurant near what they use. I felt really shy doing it but at least I got their supplier. They even offered to sell me a few of what they use so I can test it first. I checked their page and it looks like *moderator edit to remove product name and link* sells in packs so I don't need to buy a lot.
I've tried buying in Alibaba and another time in Amazon but the first one smelled funny and the second was too thin.
I've made all sorts of food including bread!

Last edited by KayKay; July 21st, 2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old July 21st, 2016, 11:16 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I edited your post skyisthelimit. We have a very strict "no advertising" policy here, and your inclusion of the name of the product along with a link was too much like advertising.

I am glad you found what you need.
Old November 28th, 2016, 07:54 PM

DH: I've been reading a lot lately about the sous vide cooking method...
Me: Yeah, me too. It doesn't appeal to me AT ALL.

Guess what I got for my birthday.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:19 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

...uh...did it come with a gift receipt? Would he actually notice if you never used it?

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:30 PM

Oh, DH is surprisingly sensitive about whether or not I like gifts he has picked for me. Truth is that he bought it for himself because HE wanted to try it. And hey, the fact that he wants to cook dinner? That is a gift unto itself.

I have been trying to keep a good attitude and give it the benefit of the doubt. We have tried a number of things in it. So far the only "winners" in my book have been thick pork chops. DH liked the salmon and lobster (I don't eat seafood, so didn't try) and steaks (but they were cooked medium rare to HIS liking, not medium well to MY liking - I can't eat things that gush blood when you cut in to them).

It just seems kind of pointless to me. I mean, you cook the stuff in a water bath and then have to sear it in a pan (or grill it) afterwards so it looks cooked. Why not just grill it to begin with? Regular cooking takes less time, less cleanup and the result is pretty much the same (and you can cook things to people's preferred temperature). I know there's a different texture to the meat, but truth be told I (and DS) prefer the texture of the regularly cooked food.

We'll find something that makes it worth having. I did like the pork chops.