Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old September 6th, 2016, 09:03 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Teaching my son to drive....eeeeeepppppp!!!!!

He just turned 16 last week on Tues,got his learners on Sat....and we have been driving around our quiet little streets where we live since Sunday,hes doing quite well.....my car is auto so I think that makes it a bit easier.....he even came up the driveway and into a 90 degree turn into the garage...not bad for a kid who has never been behind the wheel before!!....hehehehe.
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:12 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Teaching my son to drive....eeeeeepppppp!!!!!

Good luck to you! Here's hoping the passenger-side floorboard invisible brake pedal works for you!
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:20 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
Good luck to you! Here's hoping the passenger-side floorboard invisible brake pedal works for you!

Hahahahaha!!!!.....Im gonna wear out the carpet on the passenger side for sure!!!
Old September 6th, 2016, 11:24 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

And the passenger side door handle as well (gripping it to stop from sliding out of your seat during too-fast turns).

As me how I know...
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:26 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

It's really fun when you teach them how to drive a stick. I taught both my daughters how to drive a manual. It was great! I would park on a hill, set the brake, turn the engine off, get out and tell them to drive the rest of the way up the hill. They'd be stalling out the engine, squealing the tires, grinding the gears, rolling backwards... They'd get all stressed out. It was great! After a couple of weeks they were shifting like pros. The hill was no longer a problem. I would even let them turn the radio on. Then I would let them drive my wife's car (which was an automatic). They would be tuned into driving the stick and, without thinking, they would hit the brake thinking they would have to shift.

Teaching your kids how to drive is one of those great experiences in life. I loved it! They both did good... Dad was proud of them.

Parallel parking was a breeze for both of them. After a couple hundred practice runs they could almost do it blind folded.
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:56 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Knot, my dad brought my stick shift to work, gave a quick primer and told me "Get it home" and he left me there. I won't say how long it took me to get home, but I got it there. It's been 30 years and I still drive a manual.

I taught my DH how to drive manual. I tried to teach ODS, but he got scared when he got stuck on a hill and gave up. I taught YDS, but he hasn't had enough practice with it, mostly because we both got car sick when he was driving.
Old September 7th, 2016, 10:18 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

That's what dad's are for... Gotta love them! Loved the way your dad made you learn how to drive a stick.

Catwoman... I envy you! I wish I could teach all my GKids to drive. But, it's Mom and Dads turn now. <sniff>

Although I do let my GSons shift when they're with me. Not all the time, but just enough to get them familiar with how it works.
Old September 7th, 2016, 03:19 PM

We have both manual and automatic cars so thought we would start with the auto to get used to the road rules first and then go onto the manual. I think it might be easier when he knows the rules and how to handle a car and grasp the basics. Here if you do your licence in an auto you are allowed to drive both after you pass your full licence you are then allowed to drive both anyway.
Old September 7th, 2016, 03:38 PM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
We have both manual and automatic cars so thought we would start with the auto to get used to the road rules first and then go onto the manual. I think it might be easier when he knows the rules and how to handle a car and grasp the basics. Here if you do your licence in an auto you are allowed to drive both after you pass your full licence you are then allowed to drive both anyway.
You are very wise to start with the automatic for exactly those reasons.

Some of the interactions might not be funny now, but you'll laugh later.
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:35 PM

So its been about a week and my son is doing well.We have been starting to go onto main rds with traffic lights and large roundabouts etc.Today we had a bit of a scare though....we were driving just around the corner from where we live about 3 streets away and came to a street he has driven down before,when this late model V8 suddenly did a U-turn in front and started coming right at us at full speed!!, he was going around another car on his side of the road back the other way,and came onto our side for about 15 metres.....my son had slowed right down luckily to a stop because normally is a 50km limit but there were road cones up and there was a police cordon with police blocking the road.I thought it was a breath test check point at first.When this car took off towards us we figured he was trying to escape,we thought it was the police at first because they have plain coloured V8s as police cars here too,but it wasnt, next the police got in their cars to chase him in 3 cars.....my son stopped the car and pulled over when he saw him coming straight for us and we just waited for the impact,but no the guy turned flipped the wheel at the last moment back onto his side...had we had been doing the 50km limit he would have hit us for sure,not sure if we would have been here now if he had hit us??.....but Im proud of my son he didnt freak out or panic ,he was a little stunned,but said he was fine,he just waited and then we carried on through the road block.....I said now there is your first lesson in anything can happen anywhere at any time!!!....I just said stay calm and recover and concentrate and carry on......phew!!!! what an afternoon!!!....I hope they caught him.

Last edited by Catwoman; September 13th, 2016 at 08:43 PM.