Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > The Family Forum > Children

Old September 13th, 2016, 08:42 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Teaching my son to drive....eeeeeepppppp!!!!!

Gulp.

No screams from you either?
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:45 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay View Post
Gulp.

No screams from you either?

No it all happened in a matter of mins,but when you see that car coming straight at you its scary...lucky my son has a relaxed calm persona.... I didnt even have time to tell him what to do,he just did it.
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:56 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Well done to your son! 😀 It's situations like that that define your ability as a driver! And well done to you too sounds like neither of you lost your heads! ☺
There’s one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old November 13th, 2016, 05:29 PM

Catwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond reputeCatwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Today Im celebrating this same child again for getting a part time job as a pool lifeguard. We just got the call today he was 1 of 12 in the final selection out of a group of 75 candidates. So yippee for him!!!....a good start for a 16 year old. He will be starting training at our local wave pool facility,employed by our city council who own the pools and be trained in all types of pool safety and rescue, along with getting a first aid cert which is great.You can then work at any facility. Its all free training and resources and you are paid to train for 2 weeks then you are paid as a pool lifeguard.....he wants to go on to be in NZ Police so its a perfect start for him.....those swimming lessons when he was a little kid paid off lol.....its also the first ever job he has applied for. I suggested it as I thought it would be good for going into the police eventually,and the recruiter agreed,as you must have customer service ability when applying for police.....I went with him to his interviews and official drugs testing you must pass,as well as the vigorous swim, dive testing.....he will be going to an official welcoming ceremony next week,a "Powhiri" to welcome this new group of recruits, done by Maori,which is a very formal,emotional and spiritual ceremony, with singing and chanting by the leaders used for formal induction into educational stuff here.....Im so proud of him!!!!... I was almost crying when the recruiter rang me today lol...hahahaha......he will be continuing his rest of his NCEA high school learning next year via digital distance learning from home,taking exams at the school and it allows him to work at the same time really, Im pretty tough on him,but I know its because hes a smart kid,but he does need to be motivated and engaged and keep onto things to achieve as its easy to relax and cruise....we dont even know what the rate of pay is yet for this job, could be the youth rate or adult rate not sure yet??, I said just wait and see, what with jobs hard to get these days and with no experience,and at least its a foot in the door somewhere,with a potential to advance further in the fitness industry there too as there is also a fitness facility with a gym etc,he gets free gym membership too there, hes receiving a contract with an offer this week,all very official lol.......Im proud of my big 16 year old baby today.

Last edited by Catwoman; November 13th, 2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old November 13th, 2016, 06:55 PM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to your son and to you for raising such a fine young man!
Old November 13th, 2016, 07:50 PM
future crazy cat lady

snafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond reputesnafu has a reputation beyond repute

way to go!!

He who ignores history is condemed to repeat it!
(it also means you weren't smart enough to learn from your mistakes )
Old November 13th, 2016, 08:52 PM

Smile Re: Teaching my son to drive....eeeeeepppppp!!!!!

Thanks everyone
Old November 14th, 2016, 06:45 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, work and school! Well done!
Old November 14th, 2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt View Post
Wow, work and school! Well done!
We told them that its better to line up what you want to do as an adult before you get there,whether than means more tuition, a job, University etc,but they are not allowed to sit around and do nothing.We also said we are not a wealthy family,we are just average people earning average wages and so when they leave school and become adults,we cannot fund their lives.Over here you can get interest free student loans to study,and when you start working the tax dept takes a bit each week from your account when you earn over a certain amount. I dont think mine will be going to Uni. I think my 16 year old will join the Police where they do a Uni level study course while at police college,and any study with them to move up is free.,my youngest will probably get into a trade of some sort where the training is free and and extra study he can get a loan for....but hes only 12 at the moment....one at a time...phew!!!
Old November 24th, 2016, 05:24 PM

So to follow on from my son leaving school yesterday after his last exam he had an experience which I was quite mad about. He had to go around to his subject teachers to gather a bit of information about his achievements to support his application to correspondence school. He ended up in the room of the teacher who is in charge of careers and learning. She said to him 'I dont understand why you are leaving in the first place?,you are a high achiever and this correspondence school is only for dropouts and low achievers,didnt you know that?. My son quickly told her that he is starting his new job on Mon coming and that he will be finishing his high school education via correspondence because it will give him time flexibility and he only needs to take 3 subjects anyway.....she answered oh well??.

I was livid when I heard this,what a thing to say to a kid leaving school on his last day?, how negative??,so I wrote an email to the Ministry of Education who oversees schools outlining what happened and saying that I felt the staff member was unprofessional and derogatory to both my son and any students studying at the correspondence school. Ironically this woman refers people to this institution in her job,so she should know better. I said in the email, that this woman would not have gotten away with saying this to an adult. So the ministry has emailed back and asked for what outcome I would like?.I said I want them to understand what they said to my son was out of line and 100% unprofessional and that they can write us a letter of apology....so someone will get raked over the coals for this...good job!!!......gosh some people are idiots arent they?, I think she has foot in mouth disease big time......maybe she will be caught out making such unprofessional statements involving her personal opinions at last.....she should have just said good luck and we wish you all the best for your future.....the ministry rep said my son was to be congratulated for making an adult decision at only 16 and for gaining employment......grrrrrr I so mad at this stupid teacher yesterday.

Last edited by Catwoman; November 24th, 2016 at 05:30 PM.