Go Back   Friends and Family Forum > Around the House > Recipes

Recipes Post and rate your favorite Recipes

Old October 18th, 2016, 11:15 PM

JumpingJake is on a distinguished road
Antique Cookbooks

Hello,

My mother is a big collector of antique cookbooks. She loves cooking of all sorts and is mainly into recreating old recipes from cookbooks from a long time ago. Itís always great going to eat when she has cooked Ė you get a history lesson alongside some fantastic food as she always tells you what era and area the food has come from.

Anyways, itís here birthday coming up and I figured Iíd buy her a couple of books to build her collection up and bag me some tasty food into the bargain . I found a great website with antique cookbooks for sale and am going to buy a couple of nice books as a present for her. This Detroit MI Times cookbook looks interesting:

There are quite a lot of others to choose from though, so the question is which era of cooking do people enjoy the most? Are there any classic must-have recipe books from say the 20ís and 30ís? Or even from later periods like the 60ís and 70ís that I should be thinking of picking up?

Thanks!
Old October 19th, 2016, 05:05 AM

LucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond reputeLucyVanPelt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Antique Cookbooks

I have a cookbook from somewhere around 1940. It has way more information than current cook books. This is the one that would get me through another great depression. I love it!
Old October 19th, 2016, 06:48 AM

Annsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond reputeAnnsdil has a reputation beyond repute

My mum has a cook book from the early 70's so not quite antique but still old. I used to use it when I lived at home and remembered some of the recipes I used to like from it. I asked mum if I could have it the other day as I knew she no longer used it. It has soooo much more information than any cookbook I see nowadays. It's like the ultimate beginners to advanced and has so many recipes for a moderately sized book.

I left it at my mums because she said she may like to look through it again first, but I've seen later editions of this book published and debating whether to purchase a new edition. If it doesn't contain the same recipes as the old one, I shan't bother though!
Thereís one major problem with giving grandparents legal access to their grandchildren. People who inflicted verbal, physical and sexual abuse on their children are then given access to inflict trauma on yet another generation. ~ Wayne and Tamara
Old October 19th, 2016, 08:04 AM
for President

Knot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond reputeKnot2loud has a reputation beyond repute

I have one from my grand mother. It's called "The White House Cook Book." I have no idea how old it is and the binding is in pretty rough shape. I don't think I ever opened it. It is still in the book case... I think. Maybe I'll look for it now that my curiosity is up.
Old October 19th, 2016, 09:06 AM

KayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond reputeKayKay has a reputation beyond repute

I collect cookbooks and have some old ones that were my mom's. I don't think any of them are from before the 1950s though. I never use them.
Old October 24th, 2016, 08:38 PM

JumpingJake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingJake View Post
Hello,

My mother is a big collector of antique cookbooks. She loves cooking of all sorts and is mainly into recreating old recipes from cookbooks from a long time ago. Itís always great going to eat when she has cooked Ė you get a history lesson alongside some fantastic food as she always tells you what era and area the food has come from.

Anyways, itís here birthday coming up and I figured Iíd buy her a couple of books to build her collection up and bag me some tasty food into the bargain . <remove advertising link>. This Detroit MI Times cookbook looks interesting:

There are quite a lot of others to choose from though, so the question is which era of cooking do people enjoy the most? Are there any classic must-have recipe books from say the 20ís and 30ís? Or even from later periods like the 60ís and 70ís that I should be thinking of picking up?

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies to this. I love hearing about other people's favourites.

Last edited by LucyVanPelt; October 25th, 2016 at 05:04 AM. Reason: remove advertising link